Text ad's

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Question... I have noticed that links are appearing in the body of peoples messages. like "bla bla bla bal bla bla stethoscope bla bladi bla bla..." where 'stethoscope' is a hypertext link to some ad. Wondering if that is just me. something new or what. Thanks!

Achilles

Forum Moron
Question... I have noticed that links are appearing in the body of peoples messages. like "bla bla bla bal bla bla stethoscope bla bladi bla bla..." where 'stethoscope' is a hypertext link to some ad. Wondering if that is just me. something new or what. Thanks!

That is your browser.
Each browser has a different way of turning it off, but it's pretty much the same.
Go to settings, click ads, "turn ads off" or something relative to that.

OP
OP
PotatoMedic

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
That is your browser.
Each browser has a different way of turning it off, but it's pretty much the same.
Go to settings, click ads, "turn ads off" or something relative to that.

Interesting... Guess it got added when firefox updated. Thanks!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Actually, it's our new ad provider (skimlimks). There is an option to turn it off. I'll update this thread in the morning with more details.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
A few updates:

While we've been using a competitor for over a year, a week or so ago we started using a service called Skimlinks to monetize forum links to sites like Amazon and eBay. When you visit EMTLife and click on a link to one of those stores we receive a small commission as an affiliate. [A very small] cha ching!

Most recently there is an option enabled to turn product links automatically into links to stores. For example, if I write that I like televisions, Skimlinks may turn it into a link to Amazon.com for televisions.

I messed around with the settings and you logged in users should no longer see random words turned into links.

Additionally, you may update your settings to complete turn off Skimlinks. At the very bottom of that page is an option to opt out.

If you shop online and want to help support EMTLife check out this thread and click on one of those links before making a purchase.

Hopefully this answers any questions. Let me know if you have any others.

EMTTrainingResource

Forum Probie
While this is likely addressed by MMiz's post on affiliate links such as Amazon, such links can also be activated by web browser plug-ins. More specific than just the web browser itself but rather the plug-ins or add-ons you have installed.

For instance, having Skype installed on your computer will by default create a link out of any text it thinks looks like a possible phone number. That link then would go to your Skype account to make a call to that number.
That one is not so much an ad but the same idea.

Hope this is helpful for you.