Taxi Vouchers

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I am tireing quickly of our usual rounds. I know many places have voucher programs in place, where if a patient does not need ambulance transport the EMS crew responding can provide a taxi voucher instead.

Do any of your services do this? How does it work? Are you required to clear it through Med Control before refusing to transport? Or is it the Paramedics discression?

There has been some talk of thinking about doing something like that here. I want to put something together to show them where we would save money, improve response times (if were not transporting so much crap we are available for calls in our district), increase employee moral, ect.

Since I work for a county government, the best way is to prove to them it would be economically benificial to them in some way. Anybody have this type of option for your nonemergeny patients.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Interesting. How is that working out for the taxi drivers? Around here, our taxi drivers get all bent out of shape when the city tells them they can't sit there and hang out in front of the train station.

FF894

Forum Captain
As a municipal fire department operated ambulance service, I have called AMR on several occasions for situations in which someone called 911 saying they needed transport to the hospital but it was not an emergent situation. Sometimes people just need a bls xfer due to no car or similar situation. If the eta is reasonable we wait, if not we scoop and get going to get it over with.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
We're currently having this problem with one of our local clinics. They want us to do non-emergent transfers (in violation of our state license and MPD directives) yet when they have an emergent call, they won't release the patient to us because we're not ALS. Never mind the fact that we can meet ALS in 20 minutes, they'd rather keep the patient for the entire hour it takes ALS to get to them.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Gee....

Nice to see that nationwide, "AMR" really does stand for "Taxi Cab"