student question :)

Sera

Forum Probie
Alright so I'm almost finished my 1st week of my primary care paramedic course (i think there's only a few provinces in Canada now that call it a PCP instead of an EMT). So far so good.. just a LOT of reading. We're just on our section of "documenting" and I am just wondering.. it says in my text that you have to have a complete PCR filled out.. even to the point where you should have someone look over it to make sure it's all done. I'm wondering.. when do you have time to completely do it? I was just assuming that during a call you would be spending all of your time focused on the patient... does your partner take the notes? Or do you both have to have written documents? I have a lot more questions (not just regarding this) but i will just leave it at this for now.. almost late for class!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Around here, we take notes and have the patient sign on a pad carried in the truck... we then go back to the squad and use a computer to write the charts at the station.

Working transport, we do paper charts... if you are doing interfacility, you often can write the chart during the transport, and even some before you leave the sending facility (demographics). If doing emergency runs, the chart gets written after you complete transport.

Some places have in-truck tablet PC's that let you fill out the chart as you interview, etc.

In PA, the chart must be completed in 24 Hours. Trauma Charts must be FAXED to the reciving hospital within 4 hours.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Around here, our medical director answered that question for us.

We must have the report completed before we leave the hospital. If we have another emergency call out before it's completed, we're given 4 hours to have the report done and back at the hospital.