Special Events

biolife87

Forum Probie
Does anyone here work at special events, such as sporting events, music festivals/concerts or do charity work. like the revlon run/walk or similar? how would one go about getting into that?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
It is easy to do.

When your company is hired to standby, when your county/city is requested to standby or when your volunteer organization is asked to standby, you tell them you are available.

Very easy...

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I've done medical for marathons and other events through SAR.

In addition to working events through a standard EMS company, there are companies out there that strictly do events.

I've also seen one-time opportunities posted on our statewide EMS listserv.

OP
OP
B

biolife87

Forum Probie
Thanks everyone! I just recently got certified and am ready to not only work, but also to volunteer for experience to better myself and my skills.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I expect i'll probably do a few shifts with the Red Cross at the state fair next month. Its nothing terribly glorious, but i'll have mad bandaid skills by the time i'm done, and who knows, maybe the giant ferris wheel will explode and we'll have an MCI...did I say that out loud :)

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
Look into the Medical Reserve Corps for your area. In Vegas they handle alot of events. I would also look into orvs lime Special Olympics...they always need medical support.

gicts

Forum Lieutenant
I expect i'll probably do a few shifts with the Red Cross at the state fair next month. Its nothing terribly glorious, but i'll have mad bandaid skills by the time i'm done, and who knows, maybe the giant ferris wheel will explode and we'll have an MCI...did I say that out loud :)

hahaha same here. A lot of band-aids for blisters. It can be intimidating at some events for some reason when you start though. :blush:

Worked a horse show alone once and was a little nervous when the horses would buck or act up.

clibb

Forum Captain
I do sporting events, music events, running, biking, social events, etc. Our ambulance company do so many events in our region, it's insane. We do between 2-5 events a week. Last year donated over $1 million to the community with EMS since we go in to these events and cover them for free. I love it though! So much fun to meet and help new people.
We have ongoing education due to this. Like mass casualty and search and rescue.

Definitely look in to it. You'll receive a lot of good training.