So thats what that "pop" sounds like...

Jamie72

Forum Ride Along
Hello all, this is my 1st post,

I am a student in a PCP class, and its so far so good. Everthing was going great, i have been kicking *** on the written tests 92% and 94% so far, then yesterday we had our first serious practical tests on sager and entenox. I was a little nervous, but i ran my call fairly well. I study like a madman because i want to have a good understanding of the "why". Anyways after the call was done my partners (fellow students) were like "good call" ect, and i thought i was happily and successfully through, no body could think of any big screw ups ect.

Time to get my review/feedback... Walk in.. "How do you think it went?" me - "well im sure its no where near perfect, im still new, but i thought it went ok, secondary survey could probably use some polish.."

pregnant pause

"What kind of fracture was this?" - instructor

"Well, it was a mid-third Tib-fib closed fracture" - me

(during the call when i cut and exposed the injury it was described as a small wound with a small trickle of blood coming out, no protruding bone ends)

"um no, its a open fracture, how much traction did you put on that?"

(suddenly i heard a large pop, as my head came straight out of my ***, how could i have messed up such a simple concept dammit, a month of practice down the drain, none of my fellow group of 4 students had picked up on this either)

"um, sigh 15lbs" - me

the instructor sympathized with me that it was a common mistake, but i felt like a total ***, all my hardwork flushed with one simple missed definition. I must have read 600 pages in the last month. The damn picture in the text book shows an open fracture as a compound fracture. Well i guess i wont make that mistake ever again. I guess i just need to vent, ive been moping around today, thanks for reading

j

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
So the bone had protruded through the skin then went back in? Is that what happened?

So it was described as a little laceration?

OP
OP
J

Jamie72

Forum Ride Along
yeah basically the bone had caused the break in the skin due to the force of the injury, but the bone had not penetrated through the skin, and was not visible.. Everyone one else got a closed fracture and passed "sigh" The laceration was described as a small "2-3 inch" cut with minor venus bleeding that was controlled with a small telfa, small abdo pad and a zap strap.

Last edited by a moderator:

skyemt

Forum Captain
Hello all, this is my 1st post,

I am a student in a PCP class, and its so far so good. Everthing was going great, i have been kicking *** on the written tests 92% and 94% so far, then yesterday we had our first serious practical tests on sager and entenox. I was a little nervous, but i ran my call fairly well. I study like a madman because i want to have a good understanding of the "why". Anyways after the call was done my partners (fellow students) were like "good call" ect, and i thought i was happily and successfully through, no body could think of any big screw ups ect.

Time to get my review/feedback... Walk in.. "How do you think it went?" me - "well im sure its no where near perfect, im still new, but i thought it went ok, secondary survey could probably use some polish.."

pregnant pause

"What kind of fracture was this?" - instructor

"Well, it was a mid-third Tib-fib closed fracture" - me

(during the call when i cut and exposed the injury it was described as a small wound with a small trickle of blood coming out, no protruding bone ends)

"um no, its a open fracture, how much traction did you put on that?"

(suddenly i heard a large pop, as my head came straight out of my ***, how could i have messed up such a simple concept dammit, a month of practice down the drain, none of my fellow group of 4 students had picked up on this either)

"um, sigh 15lbs" - me

the instructor sympathized with me that it was a common mistake, but i felt like a total ***, all my hardwork flushed with one simple missed definition. I must have read 600 pages in the last month. The damn picture in the text book shows an open fracture as a compound fracture. Well i guess i wont make that mistake ever again. I guess i just need to vent, ive been moping around today, thanks for reading

j

very confused here... you say you had a practical on sager, yet you talk about a tib/fib fx?? sager's are contraindicated for any injury below the knee. it is specifically used for mid shaft femur fractures...

can you please clarify this for me?

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
So....

Check PMS
Apply splint
Stop bleeding if any, NOT BY DIRECT PRESSURE, Put some gauze pad on there
Re-Check PMS
And go.

Simple mistake though man, You just didnt think of WHY the laceration was there.

Sounds like you where really book smart but the trick is to get that book smart and the physical smart, get your hards smart (thats the best way I can describe it)

It really isn't that bad of a mess up. Just practice, practice, practice.

OP
OP
J

Jamie72

Forum Ride Along
up here in BC (british columbia) we use the sager unipolar splint from mid 1/3 femur to mid 1/3 tib fib fractures. This is how we are being instructed anyways, not sure if its the practice in the field.

skyemt

Forum Captain
up here in BC (british columbia) we use the sager unipolar splint from mid 1/3 femur to mid 1/3 tib fib fractures. This is how we are being instructed anyways, not sure if its the practice in the field.

ok... thanks for clarifying...

our protocols don't allow us to use it that way...

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't beat yourself up too badly over this. That pop you refer to is the mechanism by which your brain cements the information into your skill set.

MedicDoug

Forum Crew Member
Much better to make that kind of mistake in class than in the field, that's what those practical sessions are for. Betcha don't ever forget it, either~! Just think of it as one of the first deposits in the experience bucket. Good luck!