Sirens on the Interstate

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I learned a valuable lesson this past weekend. We had huge rain on the 4th, and at one time we had accident after accident on the interstate that runs through city. At one point we had a unit just going up and down the interstate calling in accident after accident to PD.

But I'll get to my point. We had several calls, and I have come to the conclusion that the siren is not heard on an interstate with a speed limit of 70 MPH where traffic is flowing just fine. I seriously wouldn't even use it next time, it was completely useless.

This is one of those things I wish I realized sooner. I always just thought that everyone in the interstate was ignoring me, and couldn't understand why they didn't move when they heard the siren. I think it's safe to say at those speeds a siren is useless.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
They actually told us in our EVOC class that you basically outdrive your siren at 65 mph. We tend not to use them unless we're in heavy traffic.

citizencain20

Forum Probie
Unfortuanatly, In Wisconsin if we do not use our siren (as useless as it may be) then we must also shut off our red emergency lights. In Wisconsin it is required that all vehicles who run emergency lights must run siren (and vice-versa).