Role of EMTs in Ohio executions criticized

Do you think EMT-I or P should be involved in executions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
If he is not to be considered a patient, what is he considered, then?
And if not a patient, can the medic practice the skills allowed by state or local scope of practice?

The second question is probably the practical failure of my argument.

To the first, I present a counterexample. If the state sentences a man to be drawn and quartered, and they decide a surgeon is best qualified to do the quartering, is the condemned a patient of the surgeon?
For that matter, is the surgeon performing surgery? Does the answer to that question depend on whether the condemned is cut apart with some grisly instrument of torture or surgical tools? Does the answer to that question depend on the surgeon's intent?

And the disease being cured is a sick mind.

/win

Bleh.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
If the state sentences a man to be drawn and quartered, and they decide a surgeon is best qualified to do the quartering, is the condemned a patient of the surgeon?
For that matter, is the surgeon performing surgery? Does the answer to that question depend on whether the condemned is cut apart with some grisly instrument of torture or surgical tools? Does the answer to that question depend on the surgeon's intent?

You can apply the same two questions as before.

Is he performing a controlled medical procedure? (I think most would say no, realistically)
If he surgically amputated each limb, it might count as a modification of a procedure...then I'd say yes.

If so, is it within his scope of practice?
If it isn't a medical procedure, this question is void. If it is, doctors don't really have a "scope of practice" like us...so he'd need to be judged by medical boards and other regulating bodies that usually judge these things.