rescue training

TexasMedic

Forum Crew Member
I am an NREMT-B and am interested in rescue, (ropes, confined space,ect). My question is: Im not a FF and have no tententions at this time of going to fire school. Is it applicable/possible to go rescue training and work on a rescue squad as a medic? If so how should I go about getting it?

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I know in Iowa they offer an Emergency Rescue Technician class once in a while. This class covers rope rescues from both high and low angle, water rescues, basic fireground operation of using ladders, hoses, and so forth, Vehicle extrication, and agriculture rescues.

I would check with the local college that offeres fire/ems classes to see what they offer.

As for joining a rescue squad it will depend on how big of a department you are looking at joining. I know I have talked with our fire chief about joining the fire department to continue using these skills. Although I haven't gotten voted on yet. There are some that are in support of me and they let me know it by offering to let me use there gear and do different things where you need safety gear. They also just toss me different stuff and let me go to work with them also. We have a good time and it is encouraging for me when some let me jump in and do what I know I can do.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Moved to appropriate forum

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Not really unless you are planning to continue on to Paramedic and work in Austin. Austin - Travis County EMS is one of the very few services in Texas that has specialized rescue teams outside of the fire department based service.............

OP
OP
T

TexasMedic

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for all the help guys, I really enjoy medicine, but lately have been intrague by the idea of being a rescue medic, in some capasity. I've read/heard somethings that about SAR and am thinking that maybe that might be a good place to start. I still want to be an EMT and work on the truck and hopefully get my Paramedic, when i have time. After all medicine has always been my life one way or another, now its just developed into a passion.

advice,comments, suggestions about SAR welcomed.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
We have a volunteer SAR team here in town that we work with quite often on mountain rescue calls. All of their members are EMT-Bs at a minimum and they used to have the same EMS trainer we did (we changed about 6 months ago to a new program...not sure what the SAR team is doing now).

The other SAR teams in our area are actually run by the LA Sheriff's Department, and their members are all Reserve Deputies.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
This presents a similar situation for you. Most SAR teams are volunteer and again the majority of paid positions are limited to Paramedics and are fire department based. Personally I think your best bet may be to look at the U.S. Coast Guard.............