Question for the experts

sp121988

Forum Probie
I just joined an EMS explorer post and i was just wondering what things i should make sure not to do as a rookie (i already know what i can and cannot do re: actual medical care/ scope of practice)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
this is a copy of a post i made in a thread about a new emt. i dont know a lot about explorers so i dont know how much actually applies to you.

learn form the experienced- when working a call with a senior partner(s), watch their every move. listen to everything they say and not just what they say but how they say it. watch their actions closely. their are street tricks that make certain procedures easier that arent in the book

keep your head down- when you get a job, be the quite guy(girl). ask question when you need to, answer questions when asked. but other than that, dont try to jump right in and be part of the gang. this business can be a little clique and some people dont like newbies. take some time to find out whoe the players are and what the game is before trying to play. thats not to say be the shy type sitting in the corner and not talking to anybody but dont show up your first day on the truck and try to talk to the other folks as equals. some people dont appreciate that

dont carry nine hundred things on your belt- read the "what do you carry on your belt" thread. evaluate what your really need and what you just want because you think its kool. along this line is everything in the wacker catagory. lights and equipment on your pov. stickers on vehicle. tatoos etc. most of the experienced guys look down on that sort of behavior

dont drive like a maniac-this is my biggest complaint about new emts. they drive like they have their eyes closed and a cinderblock for a foot. drive like you normally drive. and when you flip the switches, keep in mind that emergency warning devices dont give you the right to declare ownership of the whole road. almost dieing(sp), or getting into/causing a wreck on your way to the call doesnt help anybody. saving that two minutes isnt worth it.

thats about all i have for ya now. keep it safe and welcome to the profession and the board

OP
OP
S

sp121988

Forum Probie
r u a HAM operator?

My call sign is KB1NWQ