Physical strain

El_Jeffe622

Forum Ride Along
I am considering pursuing an education in the EMS field, but the only problem is I have a bad leg. I can't put alot of physical strain on it for very long. Does a career in the EMS field stress your body much?

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I am considering pursuing an education in the EMS field, but the only problem is I have a bad leg. I can't put alot of physical strain on it for very long. Does a career in the EMS field stress your body much?

Parts of the job are very physically demanding. Not all parts though. It is very possible for you to still pursue a career in EMS.

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
EMS puts most of the strain on my cholesterol. Who said 379 was high?

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
I've told many a newbie that EMS requires a brain, a back & a heart El_Jeffe622 , but we'll usually take 2 out of 3

considering the epidemic of ems-nazi's who are about as stiff and dry as a powdermakers fart, i'd say a heart would be a welcome addition

let them do the lifting....

~S~

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i work in boston so my view on this might be skewed but my answer is NFW(no efin way)

raising and lowering the stretcher xx times a day. walking all around hospitals. sitting in the rig for long periods of time. all of that will physically strain your leg. and we havent gotten into the ubiquitous stair chair. wait until you have to do the 300lb guy on the 10th floor of one of the many no elevator buildings we have. a guy with two good legs has trouble walking for two weeks after that....

not to put a damper on your possible career but you did ask and i have a firm no bull poopey policy when asked a direct question like that

oldschoolmedic

Forum Lieutenant
My only question is, what excuse would you accept from the crewmember who dropped your Mom because he had a bum leg?

Consider a less strenuous job. If the call of public safety is too strong, consider a position in dispatch.

Urban EMS has buildings with no elevators and a lot of hard walking.

Suburban EMS has two and three story non-stretcher friendly homes.

Rural EMS has flippin' hunters who fall out of tree stands two miles into the woods.

Could you do the job? Probably. Only you know the limitations of your leg, but you should be upfront with ANY service you apply to.

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
Well, seeing as the topic is brought up anyway, how about if someone is just not the largest person in the world (whopping 5'5) yet they have no physical deficiency outside of being slightly out of shape. I was in the Army for a short time and got discharged because of stress fractures but my legs are completely healed...I just haven't gotten around to going to the gym yet. I'm rather curious though, considering the semester starts next Monday and I don't know when I'll start lifting mock patients in my EMT class, how much muscle I'm going to have to pack on for the job. Right now I weigh about 130 so I'm not overweight but I don't have too much muscle on me currently and I don't really want to set myself up for injury. I digress though, my main question is how much do you need to work out to be fit enough that you're not going to kill yourself in EMS?

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
I've served with slight women of 90 lbs, as well as huge men over 300 lbs, i can recall grannies in their 70's , as well as newbies still in high school

each had their strengths and weaknesses, each eventually partnered up with those that could make good on the assets, while filling in the voids

that's why we run in a pack...

~S~

firecoins

IFT Puppet
As I begin my EMT class I ahve taken up weight lifting because there is alot of lifting involved.

You have to be able to lift patients down a flight of stairs, through hallways that are tight and up into the ambulance which is rather easy. I say a good pilates class will proably provide with with enough core strenth to do this.

I am currently 80lbs overweight. While I don't expect to lose all of it I have taken up kettlebells to get me into shape. www.dragondoor.com