Paramedic to RN programs

Brayden01

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone I am new to this site.

I have been a Paramedic with my AAS for a year now, but have been in EMS for 3 years. I am looking to further expand my career and explore nursing school options and hope to one day work as a RN/Paramedic. I have explored all the schools on google, but simply googling "Paramedic to RN bridge" is not really getting me anywhere. I am young (21 years old) so I am okay with relocating. I have taken the majority of the requirments, per most of the sites I have explored, I am missing one or two classes like lifespan development or a creative arts credit. I am hoping to start the nursing track by January of 2023, depending on everyones advice.

I just want to hear everyones thoughts on schools they may have explored, they have heard about, or that they have attended.

Thank you greatly for any advice!

Summit

Critical Crazy
You are probably past the application period for a spring semester (jan) start, most programs close applications in June or July. So you probably are looking at fall 2023 and most programs are taking apps starting now or in September.

You'll find the few legitimate "RN Medic bridge" programs really save you only 1-3 classes, or maybe a semester at most, and get you another associates degree, while limiting your program options/locations and often not saving money.

If you have an AAS and are missing only a prereq class or two, I'd recommend you enroll in those and just look at straight up BSN programs that enter you into your junior year. If you need a few more to fulfill BSN prereqs, that is fine as you have 2 full semesters and a summer semester until fall 2023. BSN programs are typically 20-24 month programs.

Here is an example good one that is specifically designed to allow you to work as a medic during the program: https://www.regis.edu/academics/majors-and-programs/undergraduate/nursing-bsn-choice

Otherwise, don't relocate. Go to your in state school and pay in state tuition.

Last edited:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I very much agree with the above. I would highly suggest that you complete ALL of the RN school (traditional) prerequisites and apply to a BSN program. The reason I suggest BSN is that you'll have a wider range of employment options. You won't be a "better" nurse but some employers do look for the BSN and will preferentially hire them. I would generally stay away from a bridge program unless it will result in you earning a degree, but that being said, you generally "save" about a semester compared to a traditional program and you might be required to take a "transition" course (usually a short 6 week course) before formal entry to the program.

Since you have an AAS, you might want to see if, by completing the additional work, you can earn an actual Associates Degree vs the Applied Associates. That may help prevent you from being required to take additional "Lower Division" coursework later on at a University (assuming you go BSN). Seriously, it is way unfun to be approaching your final Semester, only to find out that you need to take a lower division course or two in addition to your Program requirements just so you can graduate... and that might only be caught when your graduation petition is reviewed.

In my case, I do not have an BSN, but at the time, a 2nd Bachelors was not an available option as none of the universities were allowing 2nd Bachelors students into any program. Entry Level Masters wasn't an option for me either... but in your case, since you do have the option to go ADN or BSN, I would highly suggest BSN if you can somehow make it happen.