Oncological Emergencies

kris02

Forum Ride Along
Hi,
I am currently completing my final year as a paramedic student in Australia and I am researching oncological emergencies, in particular the (paramedic/emt) management of oncological emergencies in the prehospital setting. I understand that this is not a well researched area but if you had any information regarding this topic or could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards
Kristie Knight

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Welcome.. There are few oncological emrgencies other than immune suppresed illnesses and the occasional hematolgy events such low platelets and low hematocrit. Most chemo patients will know their H & H as well & if their platelet count is high or low. The patient may have a developed a very high tolerance to narcotics as well & may be on verys strong meds, be sure to see if they are on associated enti-emetics. Some of the chemo devices are now implantable & are time released.

One thing many miss is dehydration. Since chemo produces a "drying up" , most patients are dehydrated and unless they have failure or other contributing factors rehydration is a common tretment. As well as skin break down

Again, usually these will be associated with other factors, such as pnuemonia, anemia, weakness etc.

I had became very familar with oncology problems not just as a RN but my wife had chemo for a year, 2 yrs ago & will probably start again in a week or so.. in which I dread for her. She is a Flight Nurse & as she decribed it .. "they poison you ...just not enough to kill you".

I finally got approval for my service to "acess" ports, since chemo tx is so toxic and "burns" most veins, some oncologist prefer to place a port in. I highly recomend that Paramedics be taught & use them. It is so much simpler and easier on the patient & medic. All a medic has to do is place a huber needle in.. you can't miss. (needs a class before attempting)

There are many other associated problems such as cardiac, renal, pulmonary oral sluthing off of gums etc, from the toxic S/E of the chemo tx.

Good luck in your research.
R/R 911
RN,CCRN,CEN, CCEMT/P & al the other vowels & still broke !

Last edited by a moderator:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
There really isn't much we can do except keep them warm, hydrated and oxygenated. Very rarely would I be able to get command for any large doses of MS. I've given up to 8mg of Morphine in the past to a CA patient, on top of the capsules she had already taken. I couldn't do much after that, because we only carry 8mg.. For obvious reason, we can't be a rolling drug store or we'd be getting knocked off left and right.

I agree with a central line already being in place.

OP
OP
K

kris02

Forum Ride Along
Thanks

Thanks guys,
You have been a big help. hope that your wife gets well soon R/R 911
regards Kris