Offroad motorcycle kit?

aaronk22

Forum Ride Along
I'm putting together a medical kit for riding my motorcycle off road, I'm often many hours from help and the idea is to have the essentials to transport a non-critical patient by 4x4, or to stabilize a sicker patient and wait for HEMS. It needs to be tiny, so I've got it trimmed down to the essentials.

The contents so far:
ortho stabilization -
SAM splint, two triangular bandages, coban, tape

bleeding-
stack of 4x4s, roller gauze, hemostatic gauze, TQ

everything else-
flashlight, 28F NPA and lube, and a booboo kit with OTCs, steristrips, and a couple topicals

I'm curious to get people's input (especially fellow adventure motorcyclists!) about what else they would/wouldn't include in such a kit.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Not a motorcyclist, but I've done some similar (non-motorized) outdoorsy stuff (& took a WEMT course).

Pretty decent list. Hemorrhage is #1. How long does HEMS take? Any thoughts about a collapsible BVM?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Looks like a good list to me. The Pocket BVM might be a good addition. I'd carry 2 TQs. Duct tape.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
A small roll of duct can can replace the coban, tape, roller gauze, and steristrips. Pack 5 or 6 triangle bandages and ditch the 4x4's. Add a 30 and 34 french NPA and a 100 and 110 OPA and some way to breathe for a person.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Duct tape is love... duct tape is life. Although its mixed in the medical profession super glue is something I carry when I'm out hunting/ camping. I've found it useful a time or two with deep cuts.

OP
OP
A

aaronk22

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Duct tape to be added for sure. I love the pocket BVM, but it’s still large enough to be more like a “backpack BVM”. Does anybody know of a more compact alternative? Are those CPR pocket masks for mouth-to-mask actually viable for extended ventilation? Probably looking at 60+ minutes before HEMS arrival, by the time they find an appropriate LZ.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Probably looking at 60+ minutes before HEMS arrival, by the time they find an appropriate LZ.

This alone is enough to justify having a BVM. You really want to do mouth to mouth or mouth to mask ventilations for 60+ minutes?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief