New to DFW EMS - Need Advice

riverdude

Forum Ride Along
hello all!
I grew up in Denton but have since lived all over. I worked as an EMT-B private/cct/9-11 in California for about 4 months. I moved back to Texas to go back to school and haven't had time to work, but am now looking for a job. I've transfered my certification to Texas but my National Registry runs out in a few months. I'm applying to medical school and if I get in on the first try I'll start school in Aug 2012.

The road to fire in Cali is working as an EMT-B for a year or so before getting picked up by a station. For this reason there are many people willing to work for nothing just for the experience to get hired by a station. There, 9/11 jobs get paid the least. Also, turnover is high for all EMT jobs. I was never going fire so I just hired on for the experience - and fell in love with the job. I'm willing to work anywhere in the DFW area, but of course if there's anything near Denton that'd be preferred.

Sorry that was long, here's my questions:

What is normal pay here in the DFW area and does it depend on what kind of shift you're on?
Are there any shady companies to watch out for (or any particularly good companies to look for)?
Will it be hard to get hired seeing that I will only work for a year and a half at the least (ie is there decent emt-b turnover rate)?
Do companies hire if I just have the Texas cert without having the National Registry?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! :)

OP
OP
R

riverdude

Forum Ride Along
oh - and the pay is more important to me than the type of shift. I have bills that are frightening me! I prefer private over 9/11 though.

OP
OP
R

riverdude

Forum Ride Along
also, by "private" i'm saying "IFT" - we said it a little different at the company I worked for.