NEW NATIONAL SCOPE OF PRACTICE

Summit

Critical Crazy
http://www.emsscopeofpractice.org

The second revision for the new national scope is out.

My summary so far:

EMR's (FR's) get OPA/NPA and autoinjectors for self/peer hazmat use (atropine, 2pam, etc) and upper airway suctioning (i think this is new for them)

EMT (B): get... OTC oral anaglesic

still get MAST/PASG and demand valve ventilators
nothing about allowing nonprescribed epipens
infact:
The following are NOT skills of an EMT:
insertion of an airway adjunct intended to go deeper than the oropharynx
monitoring IV infusion
administration of prescription medications
So NO combitube or LMA in the national scope. Lame.

AEMT Advanced EMT (I's): get... nothing new?
Specifically says no ET and no NGT. (later in the document it specifically says ET is an AEMT skill, go figure)

and by specifically marking "ventilation of already intubated patient" and BGL as an AEMT skills, they technically rule out such a skills for EMR and EMT due to the "any skill specifically identified as an entry skill for a higher level" is not in an EMR or EMT scope.

Paramedic: didn't see anything new, just mentions no RSI for Ps

AEMT use of IO or pleural decomp is not in their scope because they are mentioned as a specifically paramedic skills

Advanced Practice Paramedic: This idea has been eliminated.

Further: Under the specialiation section, the document states
Specialty certifications must not be used to change the scope of practice of an individual.

This scope doesn't like the idea of IV tech etc etc.

-

I think State control of scopes is vital because what works in New Jersey (pop density 1,134/sqmi) probably won't be what's best for Wyoming (pop density 5/sqmi). (Cue lecture on the entire purpose behind local government and rules)

The current situation is a restrictive national scope and sometimes broader local scopes.

This doesn't allow for interstate compatibility. Joe Schmoe learns the NR minimums but if they go to a state that allows for epi use or LMAs, they may have to go through EMT training all over again because that state doesn't think enough of the national scope.

I agree with a National Scope to allow portability, but it seems to be that the National Scope should be broader and the state scopes restrictive to allow or this portability. That way a EMT has to be able to combitube for the NR, but may not be able to combitube locally. However, they will be good to go when they move the next state over that allows combitubes.

In summary, I think the national scope and training for the NR should be broad for while local scopes can be more restrictive as the environment calls for, this is the only way to ensure interstate compatibility of certifications.

-

Raise your voices for the next revision.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm not really sure how this would affect me, NYS doesn't require NREMT and I know there are things in this revision that I would highly doubt they would take away from us... I looked at the website but it doesnt really say who or how it would affect people. Can anyone fill me in?

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Apr 13 2005, 08:47 AM
I'm not really sure how this would affect me, NYS doesn't require NREMT and I know there are things in this revision that I would highly doubt they would take away from us... I looked at the website but it doesnt really say who or how it would affect people. Can anyone fill me in?
This isn't NREMT...this is the US Department of Transportation through the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA). They already set the "national" scope of practice (which NREMT and most textbooks are based on), but I believe it's only a guideline for state agencies to use in setting their own scope of practice. I think this push is to require states to use the national scope to standardize things across the country.

I tend to agree that its not going to work, just because of the varying levels of EMS that we have in different areas. I'm also agaist restricting BLS providers too much. My department was able to successfully do intubation for many years before it was removed as a BLS optional skill, and this scope doesn't even allow EMTs to use the CombiTube, which is a blind stick. I was trained to do it in my EMT class, yest its not a skill I've ever been allowed to use (and probably won't anytime in the near future).

Its a nice idea, but its gonna take a lot of work and major changes to how many areas provide EMS in order to make it happen.