New EMT seeking for a job.

Vanenix

Forum Crew Member
New EMT seeking for a job. Where should we start?

I have noticed that when we apply in the hospital they required at least 1-2 years hospital experience in order to get hired. One of the key to get hired is to volunteer as an EMT in the Emergency Room however most hospitals wont let EMT's do there hands-on because they are afraid of liability. And after finishing your volunteering commitment, SOME hospitals take credit as your volunteering experience and MOST hospitals don't. I've felt that I've wasted 1 year of my life volunteering for nothing.

I've also tried applying in the Ambulance Company and majority of the company are asking if you have an ambulance experience, and if you don't, they would prioritize other applicants who have experience while the newly ones would stay unemployed. Also, it is tough to find a job if you are just an EMT trying to apply as an attendant without having your Ambulance Driver Certificate. It is recommended to have both EMT Certificate and Ambulance Driver Certificate.
However, most ambulance companies wont let you drive there Ambulance if you do not have at least 1 year of an Ambulance Driver experience. Furthermore, if you suck on Navigation it is better to buy your own personal navigator.

Where should a newly EMT start?

Last edited by a moderator:

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
I have noticed that when we apply in the hospital they required at least 1-2 years hospital experience in order to get hired. One of the key to get hired is to volunteer as an EMT in the Emergency Room however most hospitals wont let EMT's do there hands-on because they are afraid of liability. And after finishing your volunteering commitment, SOME hospitals take credit as your volunteering experience and MOST hospitals don't. I've felt that I've wasted 1 year of my life volunteering for nothing.

I've also tried applying in the Ambulance Company and majority of the company are asking if you have an ambulance experience, and if you don't, they would prioritize other applicants who have experience while the newly ones would stay unemployed. Also, it is tough to find a job if you are just an EMT trying to apply as an attendant without having your Ambulance Driver Certificate. It is recommended to have both EMT Certificate and Ambulance Driver Certificate.
However, most ambulance companies wont let you drive there Ambulance if you do not have at least 1 year of an Ambulance Driver experience. Furthermore, if you suck on Navigation it is better to buy your own personal navigator.

Where should a newly EMT start?

Privates. The hospitals are tough to get into if you have 0 experience. I talked to North Shore LIJ...they really want alot of experience (even though they re-train you) I just got hired by Senior Care in NY.