New 68W Training

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
My own training (of course non-military) included ETT, Combi-tube, LMA, KT, Needle Cric, EOA/EGTA. Surgical Cric would be just another skill...

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
My own training (of course non-military) included ETT, Combi-tube, LMA, KT, Needle Cric, EOA/EGTA. Surgical Cric would be just another skill...

We have an great pa that over sees us medics

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Like we've all said, there's no consistency in the Army. Even different AIT classrooms have different standards.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
We have an great pa that over sees us medics
For the services I worked for, I would have enjoyed a good, close working relationship with the Medical Director... Mostly though, they were there so that the companies could acquire the medications and devices necessary. In all of my Sports Med gigs, I had a great working relationship with the team Physician and his/her PA if he brought one along. I'm glad you have that good relationship with your PA's and MD's in the Service. It can make some things so much easier when you personally know each other.

airborne2chairborne

Forum Crew Member
We only train for surgical crikes in the Army, and we have plenty of blades.
That's what made it even stupider.

In AIT yes, at unit level we trained on needle crics and this one piece of equipment (can't remember the name) that's pretty much a 12g needle and metal cath with an end that can fit a bag, it looks kinda like it belongs on a key chain. I agree the IV spike thing is stupid, it would take more force to get through the skin than you'd be able to keep enough control with. Never tried it though.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like your talking about the LifeStat device. Great keychain item for sure. ED doc I went to Tactical Medic school turned me on to them.

airborne2chairborne

Forum Crew Member
Yup that's it, couldn't remember the name for whatever reason. They're really awesome, faster than surgical and smaller than the surgical cric kits we order. Used to just keep them on my vest, 1 less thing I gotta dig around in my bag for.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

They start EPFD third-rides tomorrow (2 at a time), hopefully they learn something about teamwork.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Not here. 1/1AD is pretty crappy.

airborne2chairborne

Forum Crew Member
Heavy units tend to be, if you go to light infantry there's an entire different focus on skills and training attitude. A good way to teach your medics teamwork for working on a patient is trauma tables. Even with simulated patients it's good training, PA takes the head and 1 medic each side of the table. They also can learn advanced skills directly from their PA then.