Need resources to help me interpret 12 leads

exitb98

Forum Ride Along
I finished the paramedic course and we never even looked at a 12 lead. I'm about to take the psychomotor NREMT exam and heard they throw 12 leads at you. I'm a corona paramedic student and if you wanna check out how horrible my experience was well here's the thread.

Anyway, thanks to all who respond with resource material.

MedicFF

Forum Probie
I’m a paramedic and am continuing my pursuit of cardiology knowledge and interpretation skill independently.

My primary resource is a lengthy text by Tomas Garcia called “12 Lead ECG: The Art of Interpretation”. This was referred to me by an experienced ED physician. It’s the best resource I’ve ever seen for 12-lead proficiency and overall cardiology expertise.

There are countless videos, websites, and internet resources to further your 12-lead and cardiology skill. Being resourceful and self-directed on the internet will take you far. Like any other topic, not every online resource is good. You’ll be able to discern between food and bad resources rather quickly.

Another avenue to pursue is your local FD, rescue squad, or private ambulance company. Now that you’re nationally certified, they’d likely be quite receptive to you wanting to learn more. Such motivation is refreshing to current professionals in the industry. If they have a rhythm simulator that hooks up to a Lifepak or Zoll, you can get what you would’ve learned in class.

Sorry to hear your pandemic paramedic school experience was stressful and disappointing. You’re joined by thousands of other paramedic, nursing, and medical students that have gone through similar challenges. Many students didn’t even get to finish their program yet or didn’t pass it since they lacked the ability to overcome and persevere that you displayed by passing. Be pleased that you’re not in that boat, as life would be much more frustrating and difficult now.

Remember that it’s not been easy for schools and instructors, either. Perhaps yours didn’t adapt well, but many did and it was still near impossible. The pandemic has challenged everyone in the country and world.

Lastly, realize that when you come out of paramedic school certified and licensed, you’re still green as it gets. As those in the field always say, now is when your real learning begins. Since you had the fortitude to get through your program rather independently, you should do just fine in the end. Try and turn the salty frustration (while understandable) into gratitude and excitement that you achieved your goal of becoming a paramedic and now get to enter the actual field.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I finished the paramedic course and we never even looked at a 12 lead. I'm about to take the psychomotor NREMT exam and heard they throw 12 leads at you. I'm a corona paramedic student and if you wanna check out how horrible my experience was well here's the thread.

Anyway, thanks to all who respond with resource material.

You should have known from Day One what the tests would be. Your tale of woe is on you.

Bishop2047

Forum Crew Member

This is a great resource with plenty of case studies and great explanations. Also nifty for non ecg related stuff (CXR and Toxicology)