Need info on Standards/Guidelines.

jhaggard29

Forum Ride Along
Hello! Noob to the forum, been a medic for 10 years now. I have been searching high and low for a set of standards that lay out how many ambulances should be in service according to the population of a given area.
Does any Govt. Agency set or recommned these standards? The reason being is that in my city, we run 17-20 ALS units 24 hrs a day, but the largest city in my state runs 36 ambulances 24 hrs aday, but only has a population difference of around 30,000 people. Other paramedics and I are trying to put together a dataset to submit to the city council where I live in an effort to get more ambulances put in service this coming year. Any help would be appreciated, even links to a site that might record population/number of ambulances. Thanks!

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
I believe that your state Dept / Bureau / Unit of EMS sets these guidelines.. check with them.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Are there really guidelines? I know there are general but not official rules of EMS, but I have never seen them written formally.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
MMiz said:
Are there really guidelines? I know there are general but not official rules of EMS, but I have never seen them written formally.

Chances are, if there are guidelines, they're not being followed.;)