National EMS Scope of Practice

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Was wondering what providers thought of version 2 of the National EMS Scope of Practice. Pennsylvania is currently in the revision phase of it's EMS ACT and I was impressed to see some wording from the National EMS Scope of Practice included in the revisions.

One area that caught my attention was the addition of an "advanced EMT" level of practitioner in both the NEMSSOP and Pennsylvania's draft of the new EMS Act of 2006. Per the NEMSSOP the "advanced EMT" at a minimum will be able to perform the following.

- Initiate IV access and administer limited drugs through the IV
- Beta-2 agonist (albuterol more then likely) for asthma/COPD
- D50 & glucagon for hypoglycemia
- Nitroglycerin, ASA, and other OTC meds for pain (ie. tylenol, motrin)
- Narcotic antagonist (ie. Narcan)
- Nitrous Oxide for pain relief
- SQ Epi for anaphylaxis
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Combitube type airway's (intubation is specifically not permitted in the NEMSSOP)

This is the minimum skill set and hopefully with QA and QI over time, additional pharmacological and psychomotor skills can be added.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You have a link to the second version? The first one I saw was nothing like that.

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
In Wisconsin we already have this level.

EMT IV Technician

-IVs
-D-50
-Narcan
-NTG

But as Basics we can combitube, subQ epi for anaphalaxis, glucometer, glucagon, and administer asa and albuterol.

I hope more states get with the times and catch up with WI. Im tired of being a lower level of care if I transfer out of state :(

OP
OP
ResTech

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
wow.. sounds like Wisconsin is pretty progressive. Im with you, I wish more states allowed what ur state does. Maybe someday with this National EMS Scope of Practice we will see that trend develop.