My white uniform shirt, worst idea ever

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Our uniform consists of a white formal top, the ones you see supervisors usually wearing, and dark navy EMS pants. This was a way our company used as a means of making us stand out, having white shirts, but it's a total pain. I end up having to taking my shirt to the cleaners after every shift, and it's getting expensive.

What do you guys wear? Uniforms, polos, turn-out gear? Do you take yours to the cleaners often?

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
White or light blue unform shirts seems to be the most common with the private companies around here. AMR, Medic 1 (where two of our FFs work for their "real jobs" and several others wear light blue shirts and navy pants. Guardian wears white shirts with green pants (their rigs are also white with green lettering). Polo shirts are starting to creep in more (same colors and the occasional burgundy or navy blue), and a few allow navy blue jumpsuits, but usually only on weekends.

The FDs all wear navy blue Nomex shirt and pants as the standard work uniform. At night, its usually turnout pants with a navy-blue department t-shirt.

The pic below is yours truly in uniform and my daughter in front of the pump panel of one of our engines.

Engine2.JPG

lastcode

Forum Crew Member
The volly I work for has no dress requirements but we are supposed to look "profesional". Due to human nature I don't agree with this dress code. I wear EMS pants and a red polo shirt that has my squads name, but most dress like someone off the street. The paid squad I work on requires a blue polo they provide and navy or black pants.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
I agree re: professionalism. Since we're volly too, you rarely see many people in the uniform unless they're staffing a rig or at a drill. We're required to wear something that identifies us as being on the FD. Usually, when I'm at home, I wear a department or other fire-related t-shirt and pull my turnout pants on if we get a call. I also keep a spare brush coat and pants in the truck to pull on over whatever I'm wearing if I'm out. If I'm on duty (either staffing the ambulance or utility or just responding as the FF), I wear my uniform (at least the pants and t-shirt) during the day/evening.

Some folks show up in jeans with a department shirt or jacket, but that's frowned upon (especially if you're going to the hospital). Shorts are a big no-no unless you put something on over them.

The best one's one of our BCs, who's also the Chaplain and the rector at a local church. He frequently responds to calls in turnout pants with his black shirt and collar. He usually takes the collar off for medical calls though...no use scaring the patient.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
SafetyPro,

Sorry about the late reply, but great picture! I like the dark uniforms too, I wish we had dark shirts.

Great picture, that's one of those ones I'd put on my desk... or rather dashboard.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Thanks...it's a requisite pose in the fire service...gotta have a pic of yourself holding your child in front of the pump panel. :D

Forgot to mention that until about 5 years ago, our uniform was a light blue shirt with navy pants. That was fairly common in the SoCal fire service for a long time, but about 10 years ago, most departments started doing the all-navy thing. Our trainees still wear the old uniform without a badge to differentiate them from the responding members.

Only drawback to the navy uniform is that we can be mistaken for police. Not much of a problem in our area, but can be in some.