My CLS Bag

OP
OP
Wild_Weasel

Wild_Weasel

Forum Crew Member
It was never my intended to stir up any controversy. Given the remoteness of some of the locations my coworkers and I find ourselves my intent was to be able to act as a competent first responder until literally the Calvary arrives on seen with ALS capability, 5-15 minutes? I have sought out additional medical training where available and procured medical supplies compatible with those of our host to have at hand and at my own expense. If I have offended anybody with my enthusiasm I apologize.

Cheers,
W-W

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
So where you at? Lets do a photo op. :) (Seriously)

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hey Wild,
I think your bag looked good to me other than what I mentioned earlier. I do not know you what your situation is very well. My CLS bag was geared towards my platoons needs. We where a light infantry 11B unit and not every platoon had a medic, there was a shortage. We did 25 mile road marches, firing ranges in 140 degree deserts, and all sorts of stupid 11B hooah stuff. So I carried a lot of foot stuff and a lot of fluids. I made sure I had that 9 line card ready to go, infact I tried my best to memorise it

Your joe's need you to custom tailor your bag to reflect there needs and your mission at hand. Always carry the bare bone basics for BSI and ABC's, the rest should reflect your units custom needs.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Also, dependent on your weight situation I would ditch the bp cuff and the steth, if you have time and suitable environment so you can actually hear anything to get a bp you probably don't need to worry about it as much, granted others may argue and I always carried a steth in my aid bag (no bp cuff) but that was for mostly clinical stuff, I have never used it during TC-3. Though if you are not worried about weight then yeah go ahead keep it why not, but if you roll out anything like a light infantry unit does, every pound and ounce counts I would rather carry extra water than a steth and bp cuff if the decision came down to it, you are not there to obtain diagnostic vital signs, you are there to provide basic life saving skills. If the casualty has bilateral radial pulses and concious chances are he can make it until the medevac gets there.

Kthanid

Forum Crew Member
It was never my intended to stir up any controversy. Given the remoteness of some of the locations my coworkers and I find ourselves my intent was to be able to act as a competent first responder until literally the Calvary arrives on seen with ALS capability, 5-15 minutes? I have sought out additional medical training where available and procured medical supplies compatible with those of our host to have at hand and at my own expense. If I have offended anybody with my enthusiasm I apologize.

Cheers,
W-W
didn't offend me, I have been with groups requiring their own outfitting also. They hire three tiers of security- expat-3, tcn and locals at the bottom but 1 level of medical kit, body armour, etc for everyone. You want something better you buy it. The idea of an enforced suitable standard of company supplied equipment is very nice on the big bases, but the reality is a lot of the jobs out where the action actually is, it don't hold.

Kthanid

Forum Crew Member
Further to that, more contractors without medical care now. The US have their turn running the multinational hospital on one of the biggest bases and have denied access for all except military staff/their own contractors. They will handle life threats for contractors but nothing else.

Some of the big bases are 50/50 contractors military so we are talking thousands of guys now have to fly back to home country for doctors referrals for routine matters,minor procedures, x-rays etc. In other words, take the pain until your next leave or resign.

I guess this is a lesson to the rest of us on US style health care. You either have a gold membership or you don't get treated.