My 2007 Ford Explorer XLT

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Was at my third fire of the day (second structure fire that day). The first one was in an industrial complex that lasted 9.5 hours, followed by a haystack fire, followed by a mobile home fire. During primary search of the mobile home fire ( we were told the resident might still be inside), I got a little to close to the open flames and the soot on my bunker gear from the earlier calls caught fire.

I couldn't figure out why my search team partner suddenly started swatting me on the back of my legs.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
WOW! Look at all that snow!

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
Looks nice, Kind of what i plan on doing with my car when i get my light permit, just i will only run dash and deck lights with maybe a few in the grill. Some people might call us whackers, But when i was going to calls with my dad and other members of the F.D. more often than not we used our lights. and around here 90% of people have the courtesy to pull over. I like you install, I would be proud to own it. GOOD JOB. and i dont blame you for spending the money on all of the equipment, In CT most volunteers will use it nearly 80 % percent of calls.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Was at my third fire of the day (second structure fire that day). The first one was in an industrial complex that lasted 9.5 hours, followed by a haystack fire, followed by a mobile home fire. During primary search of the mobile home fire ( we were told the resident might still be inside), I got a little to close to the open flames and the soot on my bunker gear from the earlier calls caught fire.

I couldn't figure out why my search team partner suddenly started swatting me on the back of my legs.

But dirty bunkers look so much cooler! Clean bunkers make ya look like a probie! :p I've heard of the same phenomenon.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
To the OP (if he's still around), did you find a way to have the tailgate mounted lights shut off automatically when you open the tailgate? My campus service operates a similar vehicle and we are trying to find a way to not be blinded every time we open the tailgate with the lights on.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
you could always run a switch on the wires in the back and manually flip them off when opening the hatch....just a regular toggle, prolly want about 15A

OP
OP
S

SeanC898

Forum Probie
To the OP (if he's still around), did you find a way to have the tailgate mounted lights shut off automatically when you open the tailgate? My campus service operates a similar vehicle and we are trying to find a way to not be blinded every time we open the tailgate with the lights on.

Yeah I'm still here. No I do get blinded when putting on my gear. What I've been doing lately is using my lights to get OS then switching to my crusie lights while OS. There are just to many lights and at night I blind my engines. And yes I love the truck its awsome.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
you could always run a switch on the wires in the back and manually flip them off when opening the hatch....just a regular toggle, prolly want about 15A

That's actually what we have currently, we're just concerned it will lead to people turning it off on scene and then leaving it off after the call.

OP
OP
S

SeanC898

Forum Probie
I'm sure if you could rig up some sort of pressure swich where when the trunk is down it completes the circut and when the trunk is open the circut is open.

I'm sure if you called an installer they might be able to find something like that for you.