MPA or MPH

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I’m about finished with my BS and looking to jump into a post grad program.

My goal is to move into a senior administration position and I’m torn on if I’ll stay on the regional/state admin side or if I’ll move to a chief of service.

I’d like to hear thoughts and opinions on post grad programs, specifically
MPA with an emergency services concentration or an MPH. I’m not particularly interested in a straight MBA.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Do you want to work in Public Health? then get the MPH.

If you want to run an EMS agency, get an MPA.

From what others have told me, an MPA is an MBA for non-profit companies, while an MPH is more narrowly focused.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
MPA is really good for government or non-profit jobs in general. I worked with a non-profit in DC for 15ish years. Now in EMS, it's not much valued. I looked at getting an MPH, but I decided I was one with formal schooling. If you're wanting to get into any kind of health management, I think the MPH will serve you better than the MPA.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

MPA is really good for government or non-profit jobs in general. I worked with a non-profit in DC for 15ish years. Now in EMS, it's not much valued. I looked at getting an MPH, but I decided I was one with formal schooling. If you're wanting to get into any kind of health management, I think the MPH will serve you better than the MPA.
as I spend more time thinking about it, I feel as though my future will be in government administration... and MPA seems as though it fits those goals a bit better than MPH.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

This Is the kind of thing that clearly illustrates the need for a mentoring program in EMS. I was lucky to have a phone call with an EMS leader I respect to discuss postgrad programs and my professional goals.

We need more of that.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I just want to comment that I feel fortunate to have "friends" who actually need to have discussions of this nature. I also have a few real life Paramedic friends who have already achieved such goals. It gives me the feels. Keep up the good work!

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
(Been a bit of a hiatus from the forum, but glad to be back & see this question!)

I've been in an MBA program part-time and very pleased with it. I am a fan of the MBA over the other two because it is usually given more credence in the private sector (I can't speak for public safety or government), all else* and provides more breadth across the business disciplines inform decision making** in all sectors. Furthermore, healthcare is not *so* different from other heavily regulated businesses that it necessarily, particularly for somebody with field experience, merits a separate degree program - healthcare, financial services, energy, telecom...they all have similar constraints.

That being said, I would suggest that for health administration specifically, any CAHME-accredited program should suffice, regardless of whether MHA, MPH, MPA, or MBA. Of these, if you are concerned with optionality, I strongly believe that an MBA is the better degree, because it is more recognizable to the private sector and will provide more breadth in business.

*Program prestige, namely, which may vary regionally (compare, for example, a nationally recognized brand versus an excellent program that may have only regional recognition)

**Not to say that the other similar degree programs cannot, but the MBA is focused on business decision-making (accounting, finance, marketing...), and the private sector is where the cutting edge of management tends to live, albeit not necessarily in EMS.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

It seems that most Emergency Servives concentration post grad programs are using MBA material, repacked for EMS. I mean, a budget is a budget... but if it’s focused on ambulances rather than servers and IT infrastructure, might it be more palpable for EMS people?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
It seems that most Emergency Servives concentration post grad programs are using MBA material, repacked for EMS. I mean, a budget is a budget... but if it’s focused on ambulances rather than servers and IT infrastructure, might it be more palpable for EMS people?

Makes sense — I’d also note that one huge positive of a more generalist program is that the focus is on applying core principles across industries.

(This also gets to a bigger question of mine - whether clinical experience, particularly at the highest level of care offered by the organization, is truly needed to run a service or not.)

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Makes sense — I’d also note that one huge positive of a more generalist program is that the focus is on applying core principles across industries.

(This also gets to a bigger question of mine - whether clinical experience, particularly at the highest level of care offered by the organization, is truly needed to run a service or not.)

That’s always been something I’ve thought about. You’d think that a expert in business and finance should be at the helm, but we still have those blue collar roots and want our leaders to have experienced what the rank and file have gone through. I believe EMS experience adds a level of credibility to the position. I also believe this will become increasingly rare.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
That’s always been something I’ve thought about. You’d think that a expert in business and finance should be at the helm, but we still have those blue collar roots and want our leaders to have experienced what the rank and file have gone through. I believe EMS experience adds a level of credibility to the position. I also believe this will become increasingly rare.
It'll be interesting to see where things go -- I have to imagine with consolidation of local services & privatization, there's going to be a move towards non-clinically trained or at least less-field experienced management.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but there is a lot more server and IT infrastructure in EMS than most people think, especially when you think about how many things involve computers... After all, when was the last time you patched your lifepak monitor?

A recent MBA grad once told me that he wasn't getting his MBA for his current job (he was director of finance for a county ems agency), but for his post retirement plans: then he could take his decades of EMS experience, and they get a high paying job as a consultant somewhere. and he's not wrong... Not only that, but the more specialized you get, the more pigeonholed you are into that area, whereas a more general masters degtree allows you to take your experience and apply it to a whole variety of areas and industries.

btw glad to see @EpiEMS is still around and enjoying the MBA process!!!