Mouth To Mouth

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Have you ever?

Would you ever? Under what circumstances do you see yourself performing M2M?

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
No. Not mouth to mouth.

I would if I had to (but I always have a barrier with me at all times).

I'd say the circumstances depend. Obviously friends, family, community members (I live in a VERY small town, everyone knows everyone and their business), but I would be hard pressed if I were in a strange town. I'd probably do it anyway.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Only on infants..

But as a burnout, I don't care as much as I used to, and therefore.. if your not a baby.. you'll be lucky if I call 911 on my cell phone. So you had better not die during peak hours or while I'm roaming. :p

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
TTLWHKR said:
Only on infants..

But as a burnout, I don't care as much as I used to, and therefore.. if your not a baby.. you'll be lucky if I call 911 on my cell phone. So you had better not die during peak hours or while I'm roaming. :p

:)
I agree on the only infants but would also on immediate family members.

nyc.ems

Forum Crew Member
i would have to saythat i'll use m2m on family and friends because i know their business...but if i'm in the street i always have my tech. bag with me,in my car....so m2m would'nt go down...;)

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
I hope I never have to do M2M - I would on an infant, but anyone else - no, just too much crap going around! (Yes that includes family members) ;)

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Studies in England have shown that compressions are more effective than breathing anyway - and there is enough 02 left in the blood to do up to 4 minutes of compressions with almost the same effect as mouth to mouth (according to the studies I've read) so call for help and start compressions if you're not comfortable with mouth to mouth.

But to be on the safe side, always be prepared! ;)

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
rescuecpt said:
Studies in England have shown that compressions are more effective than breathing anyway - and there is enough 02 left in the blood to do up to 4 minutes of compressions with almost the same effect as mouth to mouth (according to the studies I've read) so call for help and start compressions if you're not comfortable with mouth to mouth.

But to be on the safe side, always be prepared! ;)

England? How about Arizona?
www.callandpump.org
Think I've posted that link a few...hudred...times. *cough*

But I'd do m2m if I knew the person. Otherwise TS.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Depending on the situation family member and close friend I would probley do mouth to mouth but if I didn't know the person then I would just do compressions.
Besides I almost always have a barrior of some type with me.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Phridae said:
England? How about Arizona?
www.callandpump.org
Think I've posted that link a few...hudred...times. *cough*

But I'd do m2m if I knew the person. Otherwise TS.

Yeah, well, the one I remembered reading was from England. :p I can't remember EVERYTHING you say. ;)

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
We already went through the class for the 200 compressions change. Not sure when it will be implemented. Our guidelines are a bit different. I will try to find a site to link to.

futuretoledoemt

Forum Crew Member
Close friends, kids (and infants), and close family only. My best friend is going to school to be a dental assistant and some of the stuff she's told me is enough of a deterrent.

*Makes mental note to pick up a barrier*

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
done it so many times and took so many meds to help prevent mennigittis.. etc... I have to say, I would not anymore unless it is close family or friends...

Be sfe,
R/R 911

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I would do mouth-to-mouth on an infant, family, and those I know. It all really depends on the situation though. If there is one thing I've learned in EMS is that there are no black and whites, but instead a million shades of grey :)

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
rescuecpt said:
Yeah, well, the one I remembered reading was from England. :p I can't remember EVERYTHING you say. ;)

Well you should!!
Everything I say is important!

And this one time, this iguana.....

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
EMTPrincess said:
Have you ever?

Would you ever? Under what circumstances do you see yourself performing M2M?

Only on you Princess!!!!! Sorry, feelin' kinda frisky tonight!!!!

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
M2M= mask to mouth....I would not do mouth to mouth ever, not for infants, family, or close friends...I dont want puke in my mouth. most pocketmasks have a one way valve...aka the puke in mouth preventer...

trauma1534

Forum Captain
Mouth to mouth.... hummm

Well, I have been in ems for 11 years now.I recall a couple times in the early years that we did m2m... well... we used a 4X4 on one of them as a barrier. It got us by untill someone went out to the truck and got equipment. I had one regergitate in the process.... not a good feeling... I also returned the favour to the patient... not intentionally ofcourse! These days... if I had to, I would... only long enough to get through the initial two breaths to start compressions untill my toys arrive.