More questions for medman

medman123

Forum Lieutenant
I was just wondering if any one knows a good "study guide" book or website for me to study my med stuff. Also this may sound strange but I was wondering people that work these 24,48,72 hour shifts, do you guys have a shower or a change of clothes, because I would think it might start getting a little gross after sweating and getting your pt "stuff" all over you. Thanks for answering all my questions you guys are great!:)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I don't usually work 24's... but I actually keep a change of clothes in my car all the time, so if my uniform gets contaminated, I've got something else to wear... in the summer, it is just a t-shirt and an old pair of ****ies... nothing fancy.

OP
OP
M

medman123

Forum Lieutenant
Nice, Thank you for answering my question.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I work 24's, and I have my own locker on station. It is full of all sorts of stuff, including additional uniforms, personal items, laundry supplies, etc. Even the people that float usually have at least one change of clothes with them, just incase they would need them.

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
I was just wondering if any one knows a good "study guide" book or website for me to study my med stuff. Also this may sound strange but I was wondering people that work these 24,48,72 hour shifts, do you guys have a shower or a change of clothes, because I would think it might start getting a little gross after sweating and getting your pt "stuff" all over you. Thanks for answering all my questions you guys are great!:)

I always carry a change of clothes on shift (we work 12 hr shifts). There is a washer & dryer at our station too so we can throw on a load of laundry if needed (came in handy for the through and through GSW-to-head call that we had a few weeks back. It was a very "fluid" environment, as my instructor used to say). I am always spraying the bottoms of my boots too with antimicrobial stuff we keep in the back of the box.

AndiBugg

Forum Crew Member
Try www.emtb.com, it helps a little but not a lot. There are a lot of good sites if you search, and the NREMT site has how many questions will be on each section. Also, my ex worked at a diffrent place, he worked 24s and kept an extra uniform, and the station they worked at had a shower. It was like an appartment.

Recycled Words

Forum Crew Member
I don't have a locker (just a probie right now) but I keep spare socks, a toothbrush, and toothpaste in my box. I'll usually have a change of clothes in my bag. I'm at a volunteer corps so aside from my 4-hour shift, I come and go as I please. When I plan on staying 24-48 hours, I'll run home and shower periodically. Usually once in the morning (around commute time) and then again during the evening shift when I know there are plently of people around so chances are I wouldn't get to go on a call unless there was a double.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I have a change of clothes back at the station, and we're actually required to carry a spare uniform with us on the rig.

Our usual Type II has a small closet behind the drivers seat, and on the other Type II rigs we just stuff the spare uniform behind the passenger seat.

chocchipsmom

Forum Probie
Our crews work 24/48. There are bunk rooms and showers. Uniforms are sent to a cleaning service, so everyone has extra uniforms at base. We also have a washer & dryer at base for those "messy" shifts where you encounter excessive fluid loss from your patients, or even muddy calls or those extra humid days!:)