"Missing a Beat" - What happens?

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry to go off topic somewhat, but since this post is cardiac related I wanted to see if I could get some thoughts

I was practicing the other day with a co-worker of mine or taking radial and ulna pulses. He sometimes misses a beat several times during a sixty second check. He says he feels normal when this happens. But when he misses this beat, does the blood just get backed up in the pulmonary veins since it hasn't left the left ventricle?

Back to the 12 lead now.

Hastings

Noobie
Sorry to go off topic somewhat, but since this post is cardiac related I wanted to see if I could get some thoughts

I was practicing the other day with a co-worker of mine or taking radial and ulna pulses. He sometimes misses a beat several times during a sixty second check. He says he feels normal when this happens. But when he misses this beat, does the blood just get backed up in the pulmonary veins since it hasn't left the left ventricle?

Back to the 12 lead now.

Misses a beat or has an extra, premature beat?

PAC?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Happens to me all the time.

Mine is due to PAT. The next beat after the apparent "skip" palpates and feels internally to be stronger than the others. I used to call it "vapor lock". When it gets too frequent you feel tired, maybe a little languid, not good on a scene or driving.

Co-worker ought to see MD. If you can get a good EKG without getting in trouble do it and send it in with him/her.

Mine minimizes with my BP med, Metropolol; Inderal LA and Atenolol worked pretty well too. Staying off caffeine helps, but we all need a vice.

Hastings

Noobie
Well, if he doesn't feel it when it happens, chances are it's benign.

It's those PVCs that you really need to worry about.

"Missing beats" can be caused by something as simple as stress.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
PAT, then atrial fib....pulmonary or cerebral embolism risk.

Don't make your pardner sit long periods, make him/her run alongside, or better yet, PUSH the unit!

My family dies of CVA's, this might be why.