Military Experience???

tgpii

Forum Probie
Hey guys. I have been looking into becoming a 68W with Airborne. How well would potential employers look at my resume with the military experience vs. civilian experience as an EMT-Basic?

I am a 68W(enjoy Ft Sam Huston) in the Army National Guard. In the Army you learn all kinds of cool stuff. When you go into the civilian world all you are is an emt-b. If you want to become a paramedic it is a great start. If you stay in the medical field your military will help. I notice I try some other fields and they are worried I will get deployed. A civilian EMT-B can work for a private ambulance company make no money and work crazy hours. It may help you get in a fire department, but even then you will have to become a paramedic. I recently applied for a Nursing Assistant job. The job says you have to be a CNA or EMT-B. What will make you mad is you know how to do so much but you have to stay within your EMT-B. 68w works with needles, iv, and meds. EMT-B does not. Unless you become a flight medic airborne don't mean much to anyone. In the military it may get you some promotion points.

Last edited by a moderator:

dadotwins

Forum Crew Member
Ex Navy Corspman/Current EMT

I think It helped me having previous military medical training. Had to take EMT training, but scored higher due to previous knowledge. No, not every thing transfers over but I can help but think it will look nice to some ole base chief somewhere. Just remember get your civilian equivilent training while your in service and you won't start over from scratch like me.

tgpii

Forum Probie
I think It helped me having previous military medical training. Had to take EMT training, but scored higher due to previous knowledge. No, not every thing transfers over but I can help but think it will look nice to some ole base chief somewhere. Just remember get your civilian equivilent training while your in service and you won't start over from scratch like me.
The medical and law enforcement fields are fields that like military experience. I am a combat medic in the IL Army National Guard. Part of the tanning is we are NREMT EMT-B. EMT-B can work for private ambulance companies and make crap. I am trying to get in a hospital as an ER tech. Anyone have suggestions for this? What other jobs can EMT-B do? Also for the Army/National Guard we have to keep are EMT-B the give us credits/classes so we keep it. :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:

tgpii

Forum Probie
I am a 68W(enjoy Ft Sam Huston) in the Army National Guard. In the Army you learn all kinds of cool stuff. When you go into the civilian world all you are is an emt-b. If you want to become a paramedic it is a great start. If you stay in the medical field your military will help. I notice I try some other fields and they are worried I will get deployed. A civilian EMT-B can work for a private ambulance company make no money and work crazy hours. It may help you get in a fire department, but even then you will have to become a paramedic. I recently applied for a Nursing Assistant job. The job says you have to be a CNA or EMT-B. What will make you mad is you know how to do so much but you have to stay within your EMT-B. 68w works with needles, iv, and meds. EMT-B does not. Unless you become a flight medic airborne don't mean much to anyone. In the military it may get you some promotion points.

I am in the National Guard airborne/flight medic hard to get.