Medical School and the Navy

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Be careful. I had a friend who joined the Navy with hopes of them putting her in a health care position and eventually putting her through nursing school. She's very intelligent, has plenty of experience, and already has some college courses under her belt. Recruiter told her she'd get work in health care and would be put through nursing school.

She ended up as an electrician. No word on the prospect of nursing school.

This isn't to say that you will definitely be deceived or end up not doing what you expected, but it happens regularly enough that you need to keep it in mind.

OP
OP
Webster

Webster

Forum Crew Member
I'm kind of afraid of this. However, I'd rather serve as a naval officer in any capacity then not serve at all. This country is in a tough time right now and I feel a call to serve.

Webster

Last edited by a moderator:

certguy

Forum Captain
Webster ,
As a former squid and a shellback ( you'll find out about that later LOL ) it does my heart good to hear someone as motivated as you on the site . I wish you all the best . I wish I could go but I'm too old and banged up to . Keep us posted on how you're doing . I hope it works out so you can go to school on AD .

God Bless ,

Craig

ltjeremysmith

Forum Ride Along
In a word...

No. Going to USNA obligates you to do your 4-year (or 5-year, if you go nuclear or some aviation) commitment in an Unrestricted Line Officer field, i.e. Surface, Subs, Aviator, NFO, Seal. There are programs available for you after the fact, a friend of mine off my first ship left after his first Division Officer tour out of the academy to start medical school at Johns Hopkins, but that was in 2003, and service needs change (as they have recently with the higher attrition rates from those same unrestricted line fields.) Best bet, skip your recruiter (who's job it is to sign people up, not sort out their service careers after the fact) and try and get in touch with the service selection office at USNA. Probably your best bet for the most up to date info out there.

Paladin

Forum Crew Member
Webster ,
As a former squid and a shellback ( you'll find out about that later LOL ) it does my heart good to hear someone as motivated as you on the site . I wish you all the best . I wish I could go but I'm too old and banged up to . Keep us posted on how you're doing . I hope it works out so you can go to school on AD .

God Bless ,

Craig

Shellbacked!? I have to admit that I haven't been shellbacked but there is a Retired Senior Chief (MACS) who lives on my block and he was and told me what happened. All I have to say is HOOYAH certguy!

Rich R.
HM3, USNR

Last edited by a moderator: