Manual Handling

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
I have just finished a day course on Manual Handling (lifting) today.

With the high percentage of Ambulance Officers (EMT's) being off work due to back injury through lifting pt's, equipment, etc. The ambulance service is retraining it's officer's to look at lifting of pt's in a different light.
The hospitals have a 'No lifting policy' here. So the nurses are surpose to use lifting equipment for the pt's. Out in the Field it's a whole different ball game, as you all know. Granny collapsing in the toilet just to name one!
The practical side of our training today was more like a Tai Chi class (I don't mean that in a bad way).
Positioning of hands and moving in set moments to move the pt from A to B.
I know you have a lot of rather large folk in the States. What training do your services have with regards to moving pt's from A to B, etc?

Cheers Enjoynz

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
As far as actual training, we never really have any as far as I'm aware of. In my EMT-B course we had gone over a few lifting techniques with a chiropractor. The class was only in theory, we never actually did any hands-on of the actual lifting.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Ditto that...in fact, I don't remember it even being discussed much in my EMT-B class. I do remember a lot of talk about "don't be afraid to get an engine on scene for a lift assist". :)

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
Ditto that...in fact, I don't remember it even being discussed much in my EMT-B class. I do remember a lot of talk about "don't be afraid to get an engine on scene for a lift assist". :)

Yeah, same here. We have to call in for FD for lift assist.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I have never injured my back lifting pts. And in an overweight and impoverished state I might add. 250# - 500# is common. Never really worked out much until recently post crash. All I've ever used was slow, steady pulls, moving as one unit with my partner, using my legs, and knowing where my center of gravity is and utilizing it. You can do more than you think. I'm living proof.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
I have just finished a day course on Manual Handling (lifting) today.

With the high percentage of Ambulance Officers (EMT's) being off work due to back injury through lifting pt's, equipment, etc. The ambulance service is retraining it's officer's to look at lifting of pt's in a different light.
The hospitals have a 'No lifting policy' here. So the nurses are surpose to use lifting equipment for the pt's. Out in the Field it's a whole different ball game, as you all know. Granny collapsing in the toilet just to name one!
The practical side of our training today was more like a Tai Chi class (I don't mean that in a bad way).
Positioning of hands and moving in set moments to move the pt from A to B.
I know you have a lot of rather large folk in the States. What training do your services have with regards to moving pt's from A to B, etc?

Cheers Enjoynz

Most services that I have been part of have not had any lifting training or safe moving or anything like that.We use Ferno cots and ferno has a safe operation program but all the actual training has been in EMT-B class, and refresher classes. I wish more services would emphasize it since it is one of the number one causes of injury and career ending injuries. Many Paramedics I worked with at my last service had to have cervical neck fusions done as well.

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Most services that I have been part of have not had any lifting training or safe moving or anything like that.We use Ferno cots and ferno has a safe operation program but all the actual training has been in EMT-B class, and refresher classes. I wish more services would emphasize it since it is one of the number one causes of injury and career ending injuries. Many Paramedics I worked with at my last service had to have cervical neck fusions done as well.

The booklet we received on our course showed a pie chart, and most of the reported accidents by Ambulance Officers over 2005/2006 where body stress injuries.
I am surprised that most of you that have posted so far, do not seem to have any training at all, as to how is the best way of lifting the pt's.

Before this new course, our service ran a back care program for all staff.
With this new program, we are getting some new moving and lift equipment. A thick nylon type sheet for ease of moving the pt, and a new lift/moving belt, with thick nylon handles to hold with. Also a small wooden slide board, for moving the pt from a chair to a stair chair, etc.
If you google ' Manual Handling course' there looks to be any courses being run through, England, Europe, Austrialia, etc.
Prehaps this is something that could be brought into your taining in the States, etc. In the long run it would save your services, a lot of down time of EMT's with injury and other costs involved with that.
MsDeltaFlt
Diet and exercise is also a big part of helping towards less injuries. The methods you are already using, re using centre of gravity and moving as one unit, are both a big factor in this course also, and yes, you a proof that it works.

Cheers Enjoynz