License to work

biolife87

Forum Probie
Hey all, I just passed my NREMT and am going about the licensing procedure. I will definitely get licensed in LOS angeles. but I was wodnering. is it possible to be licensed in 2 countys? i was thinking los angeles and orange county.

Sward

Forum Ride Along
Sorry to ask a question at your question, but I can't seem to find the info I need about being licensed. I thought that after certification through schooling and then passing the NRE, I'd be ready to work. But I need a "working license". How and where do I obtain these? (California) Thanks!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Hey all, I just passed my NREMT and am going about the licensing procedure. I will definitely get licensed in LOS angeles. but I was wodnering. is it possible to be licensed in 2 countys? i was thinking los angeles and orange county.

Yes and no.

Yes, you can be licensed by 2 counties. However, licensure in California is state wide with the cards distributed through the Local EMS Agencies. As such, a card from LA LEMSA is good statewide. The catch, though, is that many counties require local accreditation, so you'll have to complete LA County accreditation and will need to complete a separate Orange County accreditation (OC just introduced accreditation this year and are requiring it starting January 1st, 2011. However you would need to pay for an ambulance attendant card if you forgo accreditation for the rest of this year). You can have as many local accreditations as you want to acquire.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sorry to ask a question at your question, but I can't seem to find the info I need about being licensed. I thought that after certification through schooling and then passing the NRE, I'd be ready to work. But I need a "working license". How and where do I obtain these? (California) Thanks!

NREMT issues certifications that you meet their standards. Since NREMT is not a government agency nor authorized by a government agency (since some states will issue licenses at private testing centers), they cannot issue licenses to engage in otherwise restricted actions. If you're in California, you need to look at your Local EMS Agency's website (normally the LEMSA is the county), which can be found by googling [county name] EMS. For example Orange County EMS brings up Orange County LEMSA's website.

If you are outside of California, Google for your state EMS authority/office/agency/etc. For example, Massachusetts EMS brings up Massachusetts Office of EMS.