Laid-off safety workers set to fill EMS vacancies

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Laid-off safety workers set to fill EMS vacancies

Nearly two dozen laid-off Cleveland firefighters and police will soon be called back to work, but not to their old jobs.

Faced with 23 vacancies in the Emergency Medical Service, Mayor Jane Campbell will fill the spots with laid-off safety workers instead of calling for a new class of EMS cadets.

[Read More!]

Summit

Critical Crazy
"Cleveland laid off 250 police officers and 70 firefighters early this year to offset a projected $61 million deficit."

Doesn't seem smart to be laying off LEOs and FFs in this day and age, much less paying a beat cop 1/2 his original salary to work on an ambulance instead of EMTs.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by Summit@Dec 8 2004, 01:07 PM
"Cleveland laid off 250 police officers and 70 firefighters early this year to offset a projected $61 million deficit."

Doesn't seem smart to be laying off LEOs and FFs in this day and age, much less paying a beat cop 1/2 his original salary to work on an ambulance instead of EMTs.
I agree!!! Never ceases to amaze me what the people of the crecent shaped table will do to reduce a budget. I would be willing to bet that none of the layoffs took place in any district the council members live in.