Invasive techniques

bobtheowl2

Forum Ride Along
I will hopefully be starting my basic training this summer. But I'm curious as to what I can expect (not just this semester) in regards to invasive procedures that get practiced on each other in class. I know this might very around the country, but still. Obviously drawing blood and starting IVs, but NG, NPA, catheters, etc..?

Recycled Words

Forum Crew Member
It varies by state. Some states, like NJ, only allow basics to use NPAs and OPAs. No IVs, no drawing blood, etc.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I will hopefully be starting my basic training this summer. But I'm curious as to what I can expect (not just this semester) in regards to invasive procedures that get practiced on each other in class. I know this might very around the country, but still. Obviously drawing blood and starting IVs, but NG, NPA, catheters, etc..?

None of the above are applicable for the EMT-B level except NPA's which are rarely used. Your top priorities should be learning a sound and thorough assessment and mastering the areas of anatomy and physiology. Basic hemodynamics should also be high on your "to learn" list. Don't worry about the invasive stuff, that will come later in EMT-I or EMT-P training. Those skills are very simplistic to learn, but for now you need to focus on your foundation of learning about the human body, how it functions, and how to assess it....................................

Enjoy, you have a long road of learning ahead of you...................

OP
OP
bobtheowl2

bobtheowl2

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the advice. From several other threads too, it does sounds like I need to dive into anatomy/physiology more than anything.

My initial question was more being curious, as to what would actually be practiced in class (on real people) later down the line.

Artique

Forum Crew Member
Great Thread. I to am starting my first EMT-B classes this summer. As weird as it sounds, the concept of learning the human anatomy/physiology is intriguing. The course is so short but I want to learn so much.. I would like to ask a question upon his original question. Are there any places/sites I can go to that is perfered that has a general introduction of Phrases and words. Im so stoked to start but I cant do anything until I start school.