Interesting experience at 30,000 feet

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by Summit@Jan 3 2005, 09:15 PM
Rescuecpt: You are surprised you have to pay buckets of cash for something PADI related? PADI Put Another Dollar In! :rolleyes: (My sport certs are PADI (AOW+ RD)) :p I miss warm water diving. It's ice diving season here (vs frigid diving season) and the vis is probably 0-10!
I never said I was surprised - doesn't seem too crazy to me if you're teaching full time. It's a lot less expensive if you're "non-teaching" status but since it covers me whether I'm teaching, diving for fun, or doing anything water related (like with the FD), it's a good investment in my mind. Plus, until the statute of limitations runs out on my instruction-heavy days (1998-2000) it's a good thing to stay covered.

PADI is the way the world learns to dive. :p

Before I went to divemaster I did some classes with other groups (NAUI, SSI) and I thought PADI was the most thorough and best represented in the world, that's why I stuck with them. Also, in the circles in which I worked, it was most respected.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Jan 3 2005, 09:26 PM
Plus, until the statute of limitations runs out on my instruction-heavy days (1998-2000) it's a good thing to stay covered.

PADI is the way the world learns to dive. :p

Before I went to divemaster I did some classes with other groups (NAUI, SSI) and I thought PADI was the most thorough and best represented in the world, that's why I stuck with them. Also, in the circles in which I worked, it was most respected.
In my dealings I found PADI less thorough vs the other organizations I've worked with. Things may have changed between your time and my time I don't know. However my full opinion is you can get the fullest out of any o those agencies if YOU put your full effort and time into learning the subject and practicing regardless of how thorough the curriculum is. But then I'm not an instructor ;)

In the circles I'm in (PSD mostly former commercial divers, DRI instructors, SSI instructors, IANTD lovers) PADI is probably the least respected organization apart from maybe the DIR/GUE fanatics. (I've taken plenty of humorous jabs for having PADI certs, there used to be a PADI instructor on the team too, it was funny). I think PADI lost respect when they started doing some their learn to dive in a day business models.

I do think PADI has some of the best tables. Of course we are using SSI/NAVY/NOAA tables here (mostly diving the 10,000ft table).

That HPSO malpractice insurance claims that you care covered for the entirety of that statute of limitations as long you were insured at the time of the treatment (ie you don't have to keep the insurance after you stop working). Too good to be true?

rescuecpt

Summit - I don't do any commercial diving - I am strictly a rec diving kinda girl and in those circles, from what I've encountered, it's the best. But I can't speak for commercial diving stuff since I have nothing to do with it. PADI is also the largest - because it IS a business. I'm not a happy feely huggy type - business is business and their business model is pretty good. I've also seen differences of opinion between the non-pro and pro populations of PADI... once you hit DM they brainwash you. It gets worse when you become an instructor - and then when they tell you that you've achieved MSDT, well... I'm basically just a PADI robot.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
SafetyPro - I'm curious - did you land at Love Field?

>Once the aircraft doors are closed, you are under federal jurisdiction - not any state.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Firechic@Jan 9 2005, 12:37 PM
SafetyPro - I'm curious - did you land at Love Field?

>Once the aircraft doors are closed, you are under federal jurisdiction - not any state.
True, but I'm not aware of any federal guidelines for practicing medicine as an EMT (other than the obvious). I think this is an issue where the feds would defer to the state having jurisdiction, but it is definately a complicated matter.

rescuecpt

Once the aircraft doors are closed, under federal jurisdiction, you follow the airline's med control.