Idaho medic pay?

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
Looking to move from cali to Idaho and Wondering what the pay is for medics in Idaho.

Thanks in advance for info

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I can answer this when I get more time today. Any specific part of Idaho you are looking at?

OP
OP
C

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
I can answer this when I get more time today. Any specific part of Idaho you are looking at?
Planning on moving to nampa area, but I also don’t mind commuting if it’s something like a 48/96 ect. Where it’s not major commuting daily.

PotatoMedic

Ok... So the Treasure Valley (Boise Nampa Caldwell area) is a nice place to be. Fire does not transport in the area it's all done by county EMS. Ada county and canyon county EMS both do 24 on 24 off 24 on 4 days off. Ada won't let you do 48 hour shifts but you can do 36 hour shifts.

There is also Elmore ambulance east of Boise, payette county paramedics wear. Both are good. Pay is a big issue in the area as cost of living and housing has skyrocketed. Median housing in Caldwell is around 350k which is just what I can barely qualify for on a good day. Benefits are Fairly good at any of the county agencies.

There is some legislation at the state level to help government EMS agencies get better Medicaid reimbursement but we will see how that pans out. Canyon did a large pay raise last year so that was good. We're all overworked and staffing is hurting like everywhere. It's a good area to work. Some great mountains north of the valley. Good skiing, fishing, hiking, camping and stuff.

I know Ada posts their starting pay online. Most don't credit experience along the pay scale. But every agency is different. There is also air st Luke's who pays well. 20ish an hour starting. But 12 hour shifts and 3 shifts a week.

Let me know what other questions do you have.

OP
OP
C

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
Wow that’s a ton of great info, I def like my 24hr shifts, bummer no 48’s but I get it if it’s a super busy system.

My wife’s a nurse so hopefully with both our incomes plus selling our home in cali we should be a ok kid in

What’s the call volume like?

And do you happen to know hourly pay rates for any of these places? I see on Ada it’s 53k basically.

I also see Ada is only hires twice a year, we plan on moving during the summer while our kids are out of school

I assume like anywhere start studying protocols before going up to test

PotatoMedic

You just missed the hiring for Ada. Starting pay is right around 20 an hour. I have the current pay scale somewhere. Most of the places are about the same. I think payette pays more. Gem county pays 13 and hour. I know canyon starts at about the same as Ada, maybe a little lower but goes up faster than Ada. Ada does 2% every year plus whatever the commissioners approve.

Ada should do another hiring in the fall around October. There are definitely a few private ambulance companies that will hire whenever. If you pm me I can send you my recommendations. With two paychecks you should be fine for housing. Summers get toasty but we have lots of fun to do.

Ada actually doesn't test on their protocols. They have a written that's "general" paramedic one at the national level. I haven't taken the new version so I really can't speak to it but I know it isn't protocol driven.