I knew there would be a problem with this...

WVfirefightersmom

Forum Probie
After waiting for over 2 months, I've finally received my state card and have begun my in-the-field training under my preceptor. I'm learning the ropes slowly, but surely, and enjoying it very much. Every call I've been on has been with at least 2 others, a driver/emt and a medic or emt, so the one big worry I've had since day one hasn't happened yet. But, last night, at an in-house monthly training, it finally got me, but at least it wasn't on a call.

They did a "refresher" last night on lifting/moving patients and the equipment involved... use of the 3 different stair chairs we have, the scoop stretcher, the 3 different cots we have, etc. I was learning all the mechanics of a new cot we have for about 20 minutes, and had lifted the cot empty (no patient) about 15-20 times before my problem finally arose, so I'm hoping that had something to do with it. Next, we put a "patient" on the cot.. then came my problem. I couldn't LIFT IT! :blush: I feel like such an idiot. I got it half way up, and could not get it any higher. I'm hoping :excl: it was from all the lifting of the cot while empty that kept me being able to lift it. Have any of you female EMT/medics had this problem when you started??? Before you all tell me that I HAVE to be able to do this.. rest assured, I KNOW this. I know I'll eventually be signed off and on a call (or I hope so) with just a driver and it scares the bejeebers out of me. So, I will be working on this issue, but in the meantime, I would greatly appreciate any pointers you women can give me. (GEEZ it was sooooooo embarassing!)

Also, I've seen the threads about everyone's myspace pages... here's mine....

http://www.myspace.com/steelermammaw . So, everyone... "add me", just let me know who ya are, cause I don't usually add those I don't know. Thanks!

emtkelley

Forum Crew Member
Can you get enrolled in a weight training program? Perhaps start with a trainer or talk to someone there who can get you on a program to increase your weight lifting abilities. Hopefully you have such a facility available to you that you can go to and get some help.

oldschoolmedic

Forum Lieutenant
See if there is a competent/certified sports trainer in your area who has trained in occupational rehab, they can create a job-specific workout program for you.

If you can't get a patient in the truck, make sure the tow chains are tight on the stretcher because the sparks they kick up are kinda annoying.

Recycled Words

Forum Crew Member
I'm a 16-yr-old lightweight so I had quite a few lifting issues when I started out. It came as a bit of a shock to me since I climb and work at a ropes course, so I had thought that lifting wouldn't be an issue. What I was told to do was to invest in a set of those cheap 5 lb weights and use them when I wasn't really doing much else. I used them while I was watching TV and didn't really think they were doing much for me, but when I got placement and started riding, I didn't have nearly as much trouble as when I took the lifting test, so I guess they helped a bit.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I had some trouble at first. What I quickly found out is a couple things.

First, there is no reason at all you have to lift the patient from the position they are at, all the way up in one lift. Break it up into two lifts if you have to. Once you've lifted it as high as you can, stop. Reposition so you legs are bent, arms are locked at the elbows, and do it again.

Second, make sure you are communicating this with your partner. If they are expecting to go all the way up, tell them you want to do it in two.

Third, don't be afraid to ask for help. If FD isn't there to help you, ask bystanders. My partner and I had family members help up to 4 point the stretcher before.

Fourth, make sure you are communicating with your partner at all times.

Fifth, call for manpower assist if you need to. Don't be a hero. Its your back/shoulders. If you have to wait a few extra minutes, to make it safe for everyone, its worth it.

emt4life

Forum Crew Member
First of all, I agree with everything EMTPrincess said. Try it again with two lifts, if that doesn't work, Start Weight Training! The best way would be to hook up with a personal trainer if possible, you don't always have to work out with them all the time, you would only need a couple sessions with them just to get a routine down, but start lifting. It is a great way to build strength but also a fabulous stress reliever.

I am a 5'1" female paramedic and there is no way I could do this job without weight lifting and the tips that EMTPrincess brought up. I lost several jobs because I couldn't pass the lifting tests they required prior to starting to weight training, after I got two jobs. Good luck with everything!:)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
work out

check your technique

dont count on a lift assist. they are not always available.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
here's the trade off i offer basics WVfirefightersmom, i'll do the grunt work, you set up the line,maybe even find a site.... get the monitor out and put the stickies on, and call in permission for med control (assuming the tin can gods have had a virgin thrown in the volcano this month)

so....see how much work your really doing ?

~S~