How long is your EMS schooling in each level?

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
Hey everyone! I am new to this website and interested in EMS around the world...this probably has been done before but I was wondering how long is the schooling you have taken to become the level you are at ?In Saskatchewan, Canada I have taken a Primary Care Paramedic course which is 4 months plus a practicum in both feild and hospital. The Intermediate Care Paramedic course is 8 months plus practicu.m and Advanced Care is a year and a few month plus practicum

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Depends on if you're talking about national certification (NREMT) or individual state certifications. At the national level for a basic, I believe it is a 110-hour course plus clinical times in ambulances and hospitals.

I don't remember what the other course lenghts are.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
In California, it's as follows:

EMT-1 (Basic ) - 114 hours total with 104 hours of classroom/skills and 10 hours of either field ride-along or hospital clinical.

EMT-2 (Intermediate) - This level is only used in rural counties in the state. 306 hours total with 210 hours of classroom/skills and 96 hours of combined field ride-along and hospital clinical.

Paramedic - 1,032 hours total with 320 hours of classroom/skills, 480 hours of field ride-along and 160 hours of hospital clinical.

The number of days/months to complete the class varies a lot, particularly at the Basic level. Most community colleges make it a full semester or quarter class depending on their schedule. The program I did was a condensed class that was 5 weeks long: 6 hours a night, 4 nights a week.

California will be changing to the the National Registry in 2006 for Basic and may be eliminating Intermediate altogether. National Registry is already used for Paramedic.