How hard is EMT course.

Nathan Silva

Forum Ride Along
I know It's a very common question. But really, how difficult is it for the average person in terms of studying, memorization, knowledge, and workload. Any details would be appreciated. Thank you.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It depends on the learner. The EMT-Basic course required mostly memorization with some problem solving mixed in.

I made endless flash cards when I initially took the course, and then relied on Quizlet and AnkiApp more recently.

I found that intelligence had little to do with one's success in the EMT-Basic course. It really came down to one's ability to memorize and perform consistently. For those not good at memorization, it took them more time and effort to learn the material. Others could listen to the lecture, read the book, and be good for the next day.

Find what works for you and start now.

Good luck!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I know It's a very common question. But really, how difficult is it for the average person in terms of studying, memorization, knowledge, and workload. Any details would be appreciated. Thank you.
If you graduated high school, you should be able to pass a basic EMT course. The practical exercises are different from typical classroom settings, but you'll get used to them.

Don't fall behind the material, practice hands-on skills and multiple-choice tests a lot, ask questions when you have them, and don't skip class.

OP
OP
N

Nathan Silva

Forum Ride Along
My situations kinda unique, because I never went to public school, and was never really made to do school work if I didn't want to, so my studying skills are not great to say the least. I guess it comes down to me as an individual. I know the material is not rocket surgery, but learning it all in such a short time frame makes me nervous.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
My situations kinda unique, because I never went to public school, and was never really made to do school work if I didn't want to, so my studying skills are not great to say the least. I guess it comes down to me as an individual. I know the material is not rocket surgery, but learning it all in such a short time frame makes me nervous.
So, yeah, it does come down to you as an individual because of your studying issues, which makes it hard to advise you.

If you have trouble with reading comprehension, arithmetic, memorization, multiple-choice tests, hands-on work in groups, attention to detail, taking direction, keeping commitments, setting realistic goals, budgeting time, recognizing priorities, or being nice, you'll likely find parts of that EMT course difficult. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try it.

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
so my studying skills are not great to say the least.
Memorization is something you can work on and get better at if you are motivated to do it. Write things down a lot while you are memorizing them, and keep writing them down over and over until you can do it easily from memory (not needing to refer to your notes or the textbook). When you learn the Medical Assessment and Trauma Assessment procedures, start writing down the flowcharts over and over until you can write them down and talk them through without referring to any notes. I also found it helpful to memorize how many steps there were in each section of those assessment flowcharts, to help me remember not to miss anything. When you are tested on the assessment procedures, you are given points for each correct assessment item (approximately in order), so missing a few costs you points on the exam (and can be bad for your Pts in the field).

It's also helpful to link up with a study buddy or two so that you can quiz each other on assessment skills and scenarios. Just writing down the flowcharts on paper is not enough -- you need to be able to physically and verbally act out your assessments of Pts to tie the written work to the real-world situations.