Help Me get my Partner IV Certified.

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Vent- your right. The whole point of this thread was to get ideas to help me to better teach her....not let loose my frustrations that don't really matter that much anyway.

So, try to bring it back around....

Are there any ideas that can help me to better teach this person....or any person in general....

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I don't believe you mentioned how long your EMT-B partner has been in EMS. EMT schools are not all the same and educational quality varies as does the clinical experience the student receives. Also, if she got the same (2 weeks) or less time in orientation that you got, that is not a good start for anyone in an entry level position. Even if she has been in the profession for awhile, different companies are known for forming bad habits.

I would suggest that SHE go to the training officer for a review or find an IV class through the local community college, hospital or vocational tech school (state is fairly inexpensive). There are IV classes offered for the LVN, MA and EMT. They may give her a different prospective or view on the technique. She may also feel that she is not being judged in another class. Some of the classes offer clinicals for the sticks. If not, a different instructor might give her the confidence that she doesn't feel now to be successful at starting an IV. I'm sure if there is tension between the two of you as partners, attempting to teach/learn will be difficult.

Is the IV certification required for her EMT-B job?
Has she talked about going on the Paramedic school?
What are her ambitions?

You have told us about what your ambitions are for her but not what she wants.

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't believe you mentioned how long your EMT-B partner has been in EMS. EMT schools are not all the same and educational quality varies as does the clinical experience the student receives. Also, if she got the same (2 weeks) or less time in orientation that you got, that is not a good start for anyone in an entry level position. Even if she has been in the profession for awhile, different companies are known for forming bad habits.

I would suggest that SHE go to the training officer for a review or find an IV class through the local community college, hospital or vocational tech school (state is fairly inexpensive). There are IV classes offered for the LVN, MA and EMT. They may give her a different prospective or view on the technique. She may also feel that she is not being judged in another class. Some of the classes offer clinicals for the sticks. If not, a different instructor might give her the confidence that she doesn't feel now to be successful at starting an IV. I'm sure if there is tension between the two of you as partners, attempting to teach/learn will be difficult.

Is the IV certification required for her EMT-B job?
Has she talked about going on the Paramedic school?
What are her ambitions?

You have told us about what your ambitions are for her but not what she wants.

She actually has not been in EMS very long at all....Has had her cert for about 6 months, only working as an EMT for about 3 1/2 now.

IV certification is not required. It is supposed to be an asset, another tool in the EMT's bag 'o tricks.

She is planning on starting Medic school, I believe they start in May. I really do hope she does well.

It is not a secret how I feel about new EMT/new Medic partnerships. As a new Medic I am so busy trying to figure out how to apply all this new information and these new skills to the patient in front of me that doesn't fit any "textbook" description of anything, it becomes extremely difficult to effectively teach a new person their job too. Everyone knows, school only teaches the core knowledge you need to know. It does not teach how to actually work on the street, nor prepare you for everything that comes your way. When things are going from bad, to worse, to Dear God...that is not the time to have both people on a truck trying to figure out their next move....or have one person trying to figure out the next move for both people.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I think you have just thought it through. Relax and let both you and your EMT partner get comfortable in your new career paths. Help your partner to be a good EMT-BASIC first. The rest will come as both of you gain experience in your new roles.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I think you have just thought it through. Relax and let both you and your EMT partner get comfortable in your new career paths. Help your partner to be a good EMT-BASIC first. The rest will come as both of you gain experience in your new roles.

Good Luck!

So then the next question is....how do I do that? By encouraging her to get comfortable in her BASIC skills...it comes across as though I don't want her to advance at all. She has taken ITLS, the IV course, and is getting ready to take our Advanced Airway/RSI Class.

I am all for EMT's getting good at being an EMT before moving forward. When I started out, I was on a BLS truck doing NH transports. I spent the first 6 months "practicing" assessments on all my patients. I think that helped me tremendously when I did get a full time slot on an ALS truck....and then into Paramedic school. I often hand over my stethoscope and tell others to listen..."Old people have really neat breath sounds."

Either way....in order to well and succeed in Medic school and then in the field...she is going to have to get good at her Basic stuff....crawl before walk right?

On a side note.....What is the "Relax" thing you speak of?? I finally quit chewing the inside of my lip on EVERY call....now its just those Dear God calls.....I thought I had acheived this Mythological "Relax" you speak of...

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
It is not a secret how I feel about new EMT/new Medic partnerships. As a new Medic I am so busy trying to figure out how to apply all this new information and these new skills to the patient in front of me that doesn't fit any "textbook" description of anything, it becomes extremely difficult to effectively teach a new person their job too. Everyone knows, school only teaches the core knowledge you need to know. It does not teach how to actually work on the street, nor prepare you for everything that comes your way. When things are going from bad, to worse, to Dear God...that is not the time to have both people on a truck trying to figure out their next move....or have one person trying to figure out the next move for both people.

No need to defend yourself, Princess.

You've got two things going on here. One is the quote above. Most likely, that's the core of this whole dilemma. On that level, I don't think the system that you are working in cares to either see or listen to your point of view.

Your point of view is valid: You don't need an anchor that pulls you down, you need a partner whose focus is to be of support to you as the person who has the ultimate responsibility for the patient.

If your system can not respond to these concerns, all that means is you do not fit in it and it's time to find something more appropriate to who you are. I think many people here would agree there are systems that are designed to handle this kind of stuff differently.

The second thing is your partner. If what you describe is accurate, she has an attitude that makes it highly unlikely that you could teach her anything. It may be she just doesn't jibe with you, or it may be that she doesn't want to be taught or it may be, though quite capable in other areas of her life, she's just out of synch with THIS work.

None of that matters. You percieve it as a threat to good patient care.

Maybe here's what you really need to look at, though. Is this situation REALLY impacting your ability to offer professional care or not?

If it is, then you have little choice but to deal with it, and quickly, and also be willing to lose your position if it blows up in your face, which it could.

If it really doesn't, then the attitude needing adjustment is your own because all you're doing is torturing yourself, and maybe her, too.

At this point, I'd say honestly look at this and rate the danger to patient care because of it on a 1-10 scale. And then, whatever the result, take action in proportion to that result.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Firetender,
What this is coming down to is two people on a truck with very little experience in their current professions.

MedicPrincess: just got her EMT-P a few months ago, got a two week training with a new company

EMT-B partner: EMT-B for 3 months

How spectacular of an EMT-B were you with only 3 months experience?

That adds up to a very stressful situation without the personal/professional drama adding to it. I will repeat: the personal and professional conflicts between these two people should not be aired on a public forum nor should people or a company/representatives be criticized if they are not there to defend themselves. This could go unfavorably against MedicPrincess if not with this job but future job prospects.

I would agree that both need new partners but not for the "bashing" reasons but for each to get a more experienced partner so that they are both given a chance to succeed in their chosen professions.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Okay, then. The disparity clearly lies in the fact that it is not appropriate for an inexperienced paramedic to be responsible for the preceptorship of an EMT who is just starting invasive procedures on live patients in the back of an on-duty ambulance.

Princess' partner is NOT a paramedic, she's a student. In her capacity of student, she should be a "Third Man" assigned to a qualified Training Officer until she's cleared in the field to work in the capacity of being a partner. As it stands now, she's not a partner and it is the system that is causing her to be a liability because it is blurring her role. As a partner, she is not there to practice, she is there to render care as part of a team.

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
there is never a set of circumstances where putting a brand new medic with a brand new basic is a good idea. i cant think of one conceivable way thats going to work.

a new medic shouldnt be allowed to work with a basic at all. new, experienced, veteran, it doesnt matter. new medics should train and precept under experienced medics

its not entirely your fault. its your systems. its broken.

you need to sit down and have a come to jesus talk with your partner. make it clear it no uncertain terms whats wrong with your partnership and what you want to do to fix it. dont beat around the bush. tee it up and drive it home. make sure she gets it and give her the oppurtunity to respond in kind. its a give and take process. neither one of you leaves the room till your both on the same page. sometimes that meeting goes from that room to the supps office where the "we will never work together again" meeting happens. sometimes things get worked out but the point is that things have gotten to a point where a real solution is needed and since your company doesnt seem willing to participate, its up to you two to sort it out.