Have I lost my mind?

Afflixion

Forum Captain
so just because you KNEW someone in the Marines, Navy, Air Force, Army you know what its like? give me a break!

sure all the service have their ups and downs but none get treated better or worse than the other... they all do different things...

you said "so unless you have been combat arms active duty army, don't say they've got it easy. you have no idea"
so why are you talking? you have never been combat arms active duty... so YOU have no idea!

Sorry, dropped off the planet for a while just got home a week or so ago and had a long list of "honey-do's" from the wife. That being said I agree with HN. as I said earlier in the post every branch, every corps, every unit in general has their own mission and without it the military would not function as it should. Yes some get additional perks that others do not, but they all have their short falls. Sure one in the air force may be in a nice air conditioned building their whole work day but chance are their bored to death staring at a computer screen, yes the infantry goes weeks sometimes months without a shower, but we also have closer relations with are unit and work near perfectly knowing you can trust just about everyone in your squad with your life, troubles at home, etc. we also get ALOT of down time CONUS where as the airforce or other fobbits, POGs, REMFs, etc they go home get a few weeks leave and go right back to work staring at a boring ole' computer screen. You can not say one is treated better than the other. Yes combat arms are in more imminent danger than the POGs but they signed up for it. So unless you personally have been there don't say one is more rough than the other, those of us who do say stuff like that say it in jest, inter-service jibes have been around as long as the military has been around but anyone with a few brain cells knows that the infantry could not function without air strikes from the air force, the air force could not launch extended sorties without the infantry. Catch my drift? We all need each other.

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
Afflixion-- hey bud, did you here about the 4 deaths in Afghanistan recently? well if you did or didn't, those 4 marines were the very unit, the team and even the same fire team that I trained with during the pre deployment training I did for Afghanistan. 3 marines and 1 corpsman. I should be receiving a call sometime next week, because I am a combat replacement and I will be replacing HM3 Layton... Im pretty pissed at what happened, because of the new Rules of engagement... my guys were ambushed, it took over 2 hours for air support to get there... and the artillery unit would not sent rounds down range because the artillery unit believed there were civilians in the area even though my guys told them that there were none... pretty pissed off...

R.I.P.

HM3 Layton
GySgt Johnson
Ssgt Kenefick
1st Lt Johnson

you will never be forgotten...

Afflixion

Forum Captain
well HN if you do end up down range keep your head down and stay alert which you already know of course. I wish you the best of luck. I did not hear about those deaths yet but i'm sure I will. Don't blame the arty they were most likely following higher orders after being an honorary cannon cocker I know them gun bunnies were itching to send rounds down range.

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
yeah your right, its the new ROE in afghanistan... its pretty harsh...

arsenicbassist

Forum Crew Member
ok, c'mon some people are taking this too seriously... i dont honestly think any of the services are better or worse than the other, we are all just biased... i respect each and every one of the services, although i might joke around, but everybody does..

anyways... i have never seen an AF FOB, but it sounds better than where i am at right now in japan... (camp hansen) haha... but im serious...

this is a link to an article about the ETT at the bottom there is a picture of a marine (okinawa based) embedded training team FOB. looks real cozy to me... NOT!
http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/Public Affairs Info/Archive News Pages/2007/070831-ett.html

Gotta agree with some of this. Having trained both CCT, PJ, and TACP...I think we all bring something significant to the fight. For starters AF IDMT's and Navy IDC's share a symposium every year, where we gather and talk Independent Medicine for a few days. Met some really nice guys there, all of whom I would work with on a myriad of missions. Still like to give them a hard time every now and then though.

arsenicbassist

Forum Crew Member
strange things

Sorry, dropped off the planet for a while just got home a week or so ago and had a long list of "honey-do's" from the wife. That being said I agree with HN. as I said earlier in the post every branch, every corps, every unit in general has their own mission and without it the military would not function as it should. Yes some get additional perks that others do not, but they all have their short falls. Sure one in the air force may be in a nice air conditioned building their whole work day but chance are their bored to death staring at a computer screen, yes the infantry goes weeks sometimes months without a shower, but we also have closer relations with are unit and work near perfectly knowing you can trust just about everyone in your squad with your life, troubles at home, etc. we also get ALOT of down time CONUS where as the airforce or other fobbits, POGs, REMFs, etc they go home get a few weeks leave and go right back to work staring at a boring ole' computer screen. You can not say one is treated better than the other. Yes combat arms are in more imminent danger than the POGs but they signed up for it. So unless you personally have been there don't say one is more rough than the other, those of us who do say stuff like that say it in jest, inter-service jibes have been around as long as the military has been around but anyone with a few brain cells knows that the infantry could not function without air strikes from the air force, the air force could not launch extended sorties without the infantry. Catch my drift? We all need each other.

That being said, we all work extremely close. However, don't place the entire AF in a category of "computer screen staring, boredom". My brothers would most certainly disagree.

RIP TSgt William Jefferson

arsenicbassist

Forum Crew Member
Lol, this is true except on Ali AB theres like 3 airmen to every soldier, kind of hard for force protection ;), But hey they signed up for the cushy factor (the AF acctually gets a "substandard living allowance" while deployed...) and we signed up for the rough and dirty factor. Hell after being out on mission for weeks kind of makes you wonder "why didn't I become a pilot?"

HAHAHAHA...substandard living allowance? Where does this stuff come from!! HAHAHA

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
i dont know i have heard the same thing.... in the case of an airman... he had to stay in a marine corps barracks, he was given hardship pay... probably a farce.... Have to admit though... probably the best group of guys i have meet in the military were AF PJs at OEMS... top notch guys...

arsenicbassist

Forum Crew Member
come hang with us

You can come hang with the IDMT's brother. We spend alot of time training the PJ's and just like everything else...there are good ones and bad ones. I'm sure someone somewhere has gotten some kind of crazy pay...I'm sure he worked for the Finance office or some stuff like that.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Yes, I am aware not all of the air force is "computer staring" just like not all of the army is groundpounding bullet sponges, but lets face it the good majority of them are. They each have their own mission which leads to success. Though, if they do not get a substandard living allowance they do get damn better living conditions than the army, I had to share a CHU with 2 junior enlisted as an E-5. Where as my neighbor was a an E-3 in the air force and had a CHU all to himself. In '05 I had a GP medium with 15 other men, the air force does get better living conditions *as a majority* than the army.