Greetings from Southern California

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
My name's Chris, and I'm a Probationary Firefighter with the Sierra Madre Fire Department. We're located about 15 miles NE of downtown Los Angeles, and are bordered on the west by Pasadena, on the south and east by Arcadia and on the north by the San Gabriel Mountains. We're a town of about 11,000 residents in a 3.2 square mile area, and are home to the only all volunteer fire department in L.A. County. We're also currently the only BLS fire department in the County...all the rest of the departments provide ALS service. About 60-80% of our call volume are EMS calls. We have a skilled nursing facility and two assisted living facilities (with a third under construction) in town, along with mostly residential and some light commercial/retail businesses.

I've been on the department since June of last year (as a Trainee until December, then as a Probie) but have been involved in EMS for about 4 years now, primarily in an industrial setting. I started out as a First Responder when I worked for the L.A. Times and helped set-up the Medical Emergency Response Team there. After that, I worked for a major oil company where I served as an emergency responder and safety officer on a couple of primarily HazMat response teams, and got my EMT-1 (aka EMT-Basic) certification while I was working there.

I'm a new dad with a beautiful 3-month old little girl, so aside from her, work and the department, I don't have a lot of free time.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Chris,

Welcome to the board! You have quite a diverse background, which I'm think is a huge plus working in EMS. Congrats on the new child too! I cant even imagine having to deal with all that at once.

It's great to have you around, and your posts so far have been great to read, full of lots of neat stuff.

I hope to see you around!

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
I dunno if people new to this chat read these, but.... you can get to know everyone really weel if you go back to the first intro posts!

OP
OP
SafetyPro2

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Boy, I didn't realize I'd been here so long...my "beautiful 3-month old little girl" is now my "beautiful 18-month old little girl". :D

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
And "tomorrow" you will be looking back saying "my beautiful 18-month old little girl" is now "my beautiful 18 year old little girl"

At least thats what my mom says. :p