Good peer reviewed journal articles for HEMS

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I am doing a project on special considerations for flying patients in unpressurized aircraft as it relates to adaptations to this environment. I am covering hypoxic environments, gas and pressure differences (the gas laws ect), the basics. I have some good books on critical care transport and FP-C study guides, but I need some additional peer reviewed journal articles I can cite and gather information from. The more interesting the better. Does anyone have any juicy favorites or anything related which maybe of interest to me? I've scanned pubmed and some databases but haven't came up with anything that tickles my fancy.

Thanks in advance

Summit

Critical Crazy
Does it have to be specifically aeromed

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Pretty much, I mean the journal does not but the article does ( it does not need to be a HEMS or EMS specific journal). Its needs to contain data about patients in some kind of unpressurized aircraft or tie in very smoothly some other way.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
You might want to try checking some non-medical sources, like the FAA. The FAA keeps loads and loads of documents online, and I'm sure they have something about aeromedical transport and hypoxia. Those documents might not be peer reviewed journals per se, but the citations in their documents might lead you somewhere. There are also probably some NTSB accident reports that refer to hypoxia and other medical conditions that coupled together, caused pilot error and the aircraft to crash. I'm a pilot, and I have quite a bit of reading on flight medical conditions, but they are all in relation to a pilot in command. You might also want to look and see if the FAA's AME (Air Medical Examiner) website has anything that you could use on it. You could even try contacting your regional FAA Regional Flight Surgeon to see if he/she could get you any leads. Generally speaking, I have found that people in aviation are pretty willing to help others out with this kind of stuff, especially when it has to do with safety. If you keep coming up dry I can take a look at what I have, and could ask a couple doc/pilot friends of mine to see if they have anything.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The military has gobs of stuff on aeromedical physiology.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
thanks guys