Getting your license

Gents82

Forum Probie
How long did it take everyone to get your license? I'm not talking about your registration with the NREMT, I mean the license from your state. I had no delays with the National Registry as far as paper work and grading goes, so I should have gotten my license from Illinois Department of Public Health within 6-8 weeks, its going on 10. Did anyone else have to wait a ridiculous amount of time for their license?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Gents82 said:
How long did it take everyone to get your license? I'm not talking about your registration with the NREMT, I mean the license from your state. I had no delays with the National Registry as far as paper work and grading goes, so I should have gotten my license from Illinois Department of Public Health within 6-8 weeks, its going on 10. Did anyone else have to wait a ridiculous amount of time for their license?

Probably depends on the state.. or county. California is one of those silly states that does everything on a county-by-county basis. I've heard times ranging from a few weeks to almost a couple months.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
After you "graduate" from an EMT-B course, what exactly do you get as recognition of your certification?

When I passed my MFR class, I just got a little paper card (like a CPR card).

I hope what you get for EMT-B is a lot cooler :p

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
For LA County, I got my temporary license (laminated paper with one of my passport photos) about a week after the class. Can't remember when the permanent license (plastic card with the same photo printed on) came, but it was at least a month or so (that's why they do the temporary).

EMR06

Forum Probie
I waited about a month for mine from the alberta college of paramedics. Which is stupid seeing I paid 400$ to take the dam test. *******s.:rolleyes:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
In PA, you get a wallet card, 8.5x11 paper cert, and 2 patches... with renewals, you only get one patch.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
MedicStudentJon said:
In PA, you get a wallet card, 8.5x11 paper cert, and 2 patches... with renewals, you only get one patch.

You guys get a patch? Hey, that's kind of cool. I don't think we get anything nearly that cool, and we have to go to each county to fill out their forms.

When it's all said & done, it'll cost me about $1000 just to get the cards to work around here. And that's after I pass the NR. heh.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
There's a county patch for L.A. but you don't get it from the county. In fact, the only place I've found to order it is a patch company in New Jersey. :rolleyes: I'm sure there are other places, but that's the only one I know.

The county Paramedic patch is gold with red stitching, and its the same seal that you saw at the end of every episode of Emergency! (as the credits were rolling). The EMT patch is essentially the same, but grey with blue stitching and says "Emergency Medical Technician" instead. Generally speaking, only private ambulance EMTs and medics wear them...FDs usually have their own departmental patch for medics (and nothing for EMTs since most FFs are EMTs anyway).

Other counties also have their own patches, and there is a California patch as well that's a trapezoid shape with the outline of the state. I've never been too sure how official it is and can't remember ever seeing anyone wearing it.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
SafetyPro said:
Other counties also have their own patches, and there is a California patch as well that's a trapezoid shape with the outline of the state. I've never been too sure how official it is and can't remember ever seeing anyone wearing it.

I dunno either considering that there's no main state certification (that I'm aware of) - there's the California EMS Authority, but I think that's just part of CA OES and isn't a body of its own.

futuretoledoemt

Forum Crew Member
Gents82 said:

My instructor told me that I was legal to work once I was listed on the Ohio website... From the point he forwarded my NR grades to the state it took two days to get on the website and a week for the card to come in the mail.