Future as a tactical medic

wowmulewow

Forum Probie
As an LEO, I can say for my community, Tactical Medics are few and far between. The way it works for many places is a Medic from a local FD will go to a specialized Tactical Medic course and then essentially become a member of the SWAT or Special Response Team. Our Tactical Medics are not LE Officers, and do not carry Firearms. You have to remember your job as a Medic is to provide care to the SRT operators and/or suspects, Threat resolution belongs to the entry team. Our SRT medics make entry with us, but stay in the rear of the stack up and are specifically trained to know where to safely locate themselves away from the threat(s). A dead Medic is just as useful as not having a medic at all. Also, it may be hard to find a full time position as an SRT Medic, as most places operate on an on-call basis. Most SRT operators are patrol officers, supevisors, investigators, etc. SRT/SWAT is just a collateral. I'm really good friends with a few of our SRT Medics, and they love it. Good Luck. Fair Winds, and Following Seas.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Jen I took my TOMS class all the operators made it a point to drive the fact home that if you get wounded the team has now lost their medical asset and have gained a casualty.

"As bad as it is to say a dead medic from an operational standpoint is better for the team than a wounded one."

I'm not an operator but have trained with our team and in that class we learned to stack at the back but with at least one operator behind you so you've got lethal cover on your 6. As the team moves and clears rooms you suck into the room they cleared then wait with your lethal cover until the next room is cleared and you move there.