Food

Airamis

Forum Ride Along
I work for a Private Ambulance now and I'm having a hard time with my Diet. I'm usually a very healthy eater but I'm running out of ideas on what to pack to eat for 10-13 hours. My partners usually don't mind going to fast food places when they get hungry but I'm not a fan. I'm just getting sick of eating Peanut butter sandwiches and like trail mix everyday all day long.

Its tough to find something thats tasty and will hold up sitting in an ambulance all day.

So what do you guys carry with you?

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
apples are a natural appetite suppressant, and granny smiths are probably the best commercial brand available

an apple a day keeps the doc away?

wonder if it works for ems?

~S~

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I used to sometimes pack bottles of water or diet iced tea (I'd freeze them to keep everything else cold) and a couple of sandwiches, fruit, etc.... That was when I worked overnights and got burned with not getting food.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Finding healthy food is hard when you're working EMS. Fast food is just so much easier.

Have you tried McDonald's new salads? They're $4.50 or so and taste pretty good. They also have a wrap.

Many crews eat at a Pita Pit, which is a wrap place that offers healthier alternatives to the regular fast food deal.

I think your best option would be to pack a lunch. Wrap it in tinfoil or whatever you need to do to keep it cold/hot, but that will really ensure you have the food you really want.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
CLIF bars are great. It's not trail mix or fast food. Kind of a mix of both. :)

Otherwise, fruits & veggies are good ones. Apples, oranges, celery sticks, carrots.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
I make my own wraps, Smoked Lean Turkey, Lettuce, low fat cheese, and low fat dressing on the side... wrapped in a jalepeno tortilla....I add a frozen water or juice to keep everything cool...

Sometimes I add a jello or fruit bites pack... other times some tortilla chips and salsa...

that's my 2 cents.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
joemt said:
I make my own wraps, Smoked Lean Turkey, Lettuce, low fat cheese, and low fat dressing on the side... wrapped in a jalepeno tortilla....I add a frozen water or juice to keep everything cool...

Sometimes I add a jello or fruit bites pack... other times some tortilla chips and salsa...

that's my 2 cents.
I was trying to think of how I could afford to eat healthy on a budget. McDonalds salads and Subway is great, but expensive on a teacher's salary.

I decided that I would make my own turkey wraps just as you mentioned. It seems like the perfect solution.