First Shooting

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
Regardless they need to operate off of their protocols, and from a BLS standpoint I'm guessing they did what was expected of them.

reaper

Working Bum
If the cops are waving them in I would take that as a code 4, I would then go in and treat the pt.

Always make sure the scene is safe!

There was an officer shot. Those officers on scene are not thinking of your safety. They are thinking of getting help to their buddy.

I learned this the hard way, when a suspect walked up and shot the pt I was treating, with 10 cops standing around me!

This is your life. Make sure it is safe before entering!;)

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
Always make sure the scene is safe!

There was an officer shot. Those officers on scene are not thinking of your safety. They are thinking of getting help to their buddy.

I learned this the hard way, when a suspect walked up and shot the pt I was treating, with 10 cops standing around me!

This is your life. Make sure it is safe before entering!;)

Valid point...to each his own. It could also be that the second pt was the shooter and they took care of that.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
If you are staging close enough to get "waved in", you are too close to the scene.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The cop didn't die, the other guy did.
Excellent. He got what he deserved.

If you are staging close enough to get "waved in", you are too close to the scene.

As one of my military instructor said, "If you're close enough to see them, you're well within range for them to shoot you."

It could also be that the second pt was the shooter and they took care of that.

Are you willing to bet your life on "could be"?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Working from the OP's account

Sounds like the usual fluster cluck in a multiple shooting, unlike the sanity experienced in an exercise or sitting at a keyboard. Coulda been worse.
Re "lightning in a bottle", if you have taken care of the critical stuff first or taking steps q-r-s-t won't detract from time and resources from a-b-c, then fine. Tincture of Giddyup is the prime component as/after immediate measures and recording are being done.
Oh, improbable bullet tracks... look for holes or obvious subcutaneous bullets, including flanks, backs, scalps. Record, treat and pass it on.
Last guy I saw shot to death had three scalp wounds, one from "straight up" because he was diving for the dirt and got a .38 straight into the top of his cranium; could not find it due to blood everywhere, long scrungy black hair, gorilla mask, watch cap, and darkness. ABC and didimau.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
flanks, backs, scalps

Armpits too....especially when it's a small caliber wound, they can be a real PITA to see even on the autopsy table.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Armpits too....especially when it's a small caliber wound, they can be a real PITA to see even on the autopsy table.

Gluteal folds are another occult space that needs to be inspected.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Was this in Middlesex County, MA?

Couldn't have been, as the only shooting in this area recently involved the death of a police officer as well.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Couldn't have been, as the only shooting in this area recently involved the death of a police officer as well.

This thread is months old, and was timely to an eerily similar incident in which the Officer involved did, in fact, survive.