felony stupidity

certguy

Forum Captain
My partner and I were called to an apt. for a male in his early 30's c/o severe head&neck pain.Pt denies any trauma,hbd,and curiously,has his hat pulled low on his head & refuses to take it off.His buddy,also hbd,is standing off to the side looking very nervous.vitals wnl,old abrasions and small lacs that've been treated are numerous.when questioned about these,he'd give evasive answers when a female cop entered the room,I tricked him into removing his hat and found 4 smalll,round wounds at equal distances around his head with slight bleeding.Again,he became evasive till my partner lifted a blanket in the corner covering his HALO !! He finally came clean & admitted he'd just been discharged from the trauma center after an mva he broke his neck in.He said he couldn't stand to wear it anymore and talked his drinkin buddy into taking it off! While informing him of how stupid this was,we carefully c-spined him and transported him back to the same facility.The same trauma surgeon was on duty and waiting for us at the ambulance bay.LET THE ATTITUDE ADJUSTING BEGIN!!!! The doc informed him that if he thought he was uncomfortable before,he ain't seen nothin yet.We were cringing and we weren't even the ones getting chewed out.HERE'S YOUR SIGN!!!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
You're not the first! I worked in a Rehab facility, one of the tops in the country and that, though not common, happened a couple times.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry, stupid question time: what is "hbd"?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I'm guessing Has Been Drinking

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Thank goodness for abbreviations; they save so much time, don't they?

(I can't decide if I want to use the :rolleyes: smilie or the :D smilie here...)

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I'm not sure about "felony", but considering you generally only see HALOs placed for unstable fractures he very easily could have put himself in the "too stupid to live" category.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not sure about "felony", but considering you generally only see HALOs placed for unstable fractures he very easily could have put himself in the "too stupid to live" category.

its a shame that natural selection isn't always effective

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
its a shame that natural selection isn't always effective

Natural selection isn't effective because it was actually so effective that we evolved to the point where we can often overcome or bypass natural selection...whether it's a good idea or not.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Natural selection isn't effective because it was actually so effective that we evolved to the point where we can often overcome or bypass natural selection...whether it's a good idea or not.

touché

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
We used to have to tell the dispatcher a clear code whenever we cleared from the call. They were numeric codes, and there were about 100 of them. On of my favorite catchalls was 155: Acute cerebral insuffiency. A stupid attack!