Feel like I am not retaining information in school

bdrm714

Forum Ride Along
I am currently a student with PERCOM Online, a hybrid course. I did this because I went through a course in person 2013 but could not sit for NREMT due to a deployment with the Army. I did well in that course and so far, am doing well in this course, as per graded homework and the tests. I do know quite a bit of the information on the tests, but some things with cardiovascular and upper/lower airway specific questions I've had to look up (they are open book exams).

Thing is I am about halfway through and feel like I'm not really retaining the information and am worried about when I hit clinicals.

Any advice to better retain all the terminology and illnesses, indications/contraindications, medicines, etc?

I know I'm not supposed to know everything as a basic, but just don't want to be that useless EMT. I want to be good at this and plan to pursue Paramedic eventually, hopefully.

HardKnocks

Forum Lieutenant
First off, Thank you for your Service.

Here's a few ideas;

Does you area have any sctive Affinity Groups? These are groups sponsored by Public Safety Organizations to cultivate and develop candidates interested in joining Public Service. They usually have EMS Study Groups.

Is there a Community College EMT Program nearby you could reach out to?

Everyone has their own preference for learning.

Try not to get discouraged and keep up the good work.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Thing is I am about halfway through and feel like I'm not really retaining the information and am worried about when I hit clinicals.

Any advice to better retain all the terminology and illnesses, indications/contraindications, medicines, etc?

I know I'm not supposed to know everything as a basic, but just don't want to be that useless EMT. I want to be good at this and plan to pursue Paramedic eventually, hopefully.
The best way I found to be useful during clinicals is (1) to do what you're told and (2) to offer to do unpleasant tasks. On the ambulance I was the guy who cleaned up after messy calls and filled the O2. At the hospital, I talked to patients and helped with their personal needs. I probably didn't know any more than you do, but I don't remember being criticized by any clinicians for being new at EMS.

When I became a preceptor, I mostly wanted students who were eager to learn and help, and who weren't immature or dangerous. You probably have all that covered already.

CerealKing

Forum Ride Along
I did my paramedic through them, and I felt similarly. At least with the exams for the paramedic program, I felt the exams were not very similar to national registry, a lot of the questions were unnecessarily specific. What worked best for me was making flash cards of the questions I didn't know, primarily to prepare for the closed book final. I also used a NREMT-specific prep platform. I think that was good for that exam and made sure I did not get lost in the weeds.

Overall I think the key is don't get lost in the weeds and understand that as an EMT you are not expected to know everything. Also, know that clinicals are still a learning experience, and honestly where you are likely to learn the most. You will do great and good luck!