Failure to Yield

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
Do any other responders find that drivers are inattentive and some refuse to yield for non-police vehicles going code 3? I find this to be a common problem in both the urban and rural departments I have worked for and other agencies I work with. Our pals at PD and SO need to give us some back up and start cracking down on drivers not yielding or worse the ones that try to keep up with us running code 3.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Happens here all the time. And the SO won't, or should I say can't, help us. We have 5 deputies on shift at a time for 750+ sq miles. They cant be everywhere all the time. As for HP we get 2-3 troopers for 2 counties, so no help there either. And as for the 2 city PD's, they ignore us as much as the regular citizens, and they are all the time calling dispatch and asking where we are going and why we are going code 3...which is none of their business but....

Summit

Critical Crazy
even more common than the "i never look in my mirrors" failure to yield driver is the "HOLY CRAP FLASHING LIGHTS" swerve all over the place driver

Epi-do

I see dead people
even more common than the "i never look in my mirrors" failure to yield driver is the "HOLY CRAP FLASHING LIGHTS" swerve all over the place driver

I agree, and at times feel like I am surrounded by them. About a week or so ago, we were headed to a PI as the second transporting unit. It was located on a stretch of road that is known for having really bad incidents. A f:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: news media camera man wouldn't get out of the way, and once he finally did, he tailgated us the rest of the way to the scene. PD was at the top of the hill we had to drive down in order to get to the scene, stopping traffic. We let him know about the idiot behind us and PD gave him an earfull. We ended up not having to transport and on our way back to the truck, this guy stopped my partner and they had a "discussion". The media guy actually told us that he was trying to get to the scene before anyone left and that he was trying to get out of our way, but had to get there as fast as possible. What a jack@ss!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
It is those types of people that will yell the loudest and complain the most when their :censored: :censored: is in the sling. <_< Never mind about the other poor souls who hardly make a peep. All I can say is when running the lights and sirens, safety-safety-safety!!

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
It is a common problem everywhere. I can remeber hearing LA, Chicago, New Haven and some other places having PD assigned to follow fire and EMS in an attempt to enforce yeilding to emergency vehicles. It was good press for a while but it's result varied.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
In my area, we get a lot of failing to yield to the ambulance, but by far the majority of people yield to the fire truck.

Maybe that extended 12" bumper we have on the front has something to do with it. :ph34r:

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Happens on a regular basis. People slamming on brakes and stopping in front of you even though you're up to their bumper blowing the airhorn and motioning, they don't listen. Just don't let it get to you or you'll stress out. Just treat it was a little maze you have to safely navigate through.

PS police vehicles get the same response

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Happens on a regular basis. People slamming on brakes and stopping in front of you even though you're up to their bumper blowing the airhorn and motioning, they don't listen. Just don't let it get to you or you'll stress out. Just treat it was a little maze you have to safely navigate through.

PS police vehicles get the same response

Best way to handle it.

Although I wish we had 50 CAL. guns mounted to the front of the unit.

Pablo the Pirate

Forum Crew Member
Although I wish we had 50 CAL. guns mounted to the front of the unit.[/QUOTE]

thats funny:p i think we've all felt that way one time or another

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
I think more people freeze up, slam on the brakes, move to the left, etc. than do what they're supposed to and move off to the right. In the rare case when I want them to go to the left so I can get by on the right, naturally they all go right.

Had someone almost get into a wreck a few weeks ago, when she swerved to the left when she noticed me behind her... right onto a median strip planted with trees. :p

Then there was the drunk driver who thought it would be fun to race down a freeway. Got a state trooper onto him.

Summit

Critical Crazy
The term "Wake Effect" applies readily to that story yowzer... YOWZERS!

gradygirl

TROUBLE
ambulance2l.gif