Failure to Train.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Failure to Train.

Failure to train is an important statement to remember. It is the basis in which many officers have won lawsuits against their department when faced with use of force claims.

Example: An officer is issued the latest gadget. The department did not allow the officer the correct amount of time, or failed to train him period on the gadget. The officer uses the gadget and a person dies. The officer gets sued and in turn sues the department for “failure to train”.

Regardless of whether or not you believe the 700,000 annual assaults on EMS number published by the Boston Herald in August of 2005……..or the NAEMT study that says 52% of all EMS providers have been assaulted……IT HAPPENS.

Too many times people believe since “it hasn’t happened to me it just doesn’t happen to anyone”.
Regardless of how many numbers get published, some will still (loudly) proclaim there is no need for training in any type of self defense.

EMS providers go to the same scenes as police officers and yet they receive little or no training. Because of this lack of training EMS providers have placed their knees or their arms across the throat of an UNCOOPERATIVE PATIENT and think it is OK to do so.

Of course DT4EMS is mine so I believe in it but there are a lot of competent instructors out there. Just follow some basic guidelines when seeking out training:

1) Make sure you are being taught the law.
2) Learn escapes.
3) Techniques should be sloppy and gross motor dependent.
4) Learn the levels of force.
5) Learn proper documentation.
6) Training must be more than 8 hours.
7) Make sure the techniques taught are for EMS. In other words, have the person who will be teaching investigate “common attacks” an EMT may face.
8) Don’t rely on pain compliance techniques. The people that attack EMS folks are usually high or drunk.
9) Know the difference between a patient and an attacker.

Failure to train will apply to EMS like this: The employer Knowingly allows the provider to go on dangerous scenes or transport dangerous patient but failed to train them how to protect themselves.

I bring this up for those who have defended themselves in the back of an ambulance and lost their jobs, and/or for those patients that have had force used on them illegally.

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Scene Safety

As a little side note...... for those that say "We train our people on scene safety" or "Everyone is taught to check for scene safety"...... I say that's awesome. But the numbers are still rising so apparently something is not working.

The old..."Well this is how we have done it" isn't cutting it.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm interested in learning more.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Here, here!!! Words of wisdom have been spoken. All current field employees should have a working knowledge, both didactic and hands on, in the realm of personal safety. It cannot be over emphasized. I believe in a proactive evaluation of my patients to determine their level of threat prior to ever placing them in my helicopter. If they remotely indicate a threat, they are sedated and / or RSI'd. No hesitation, no questions asked, no psychological therapy to understand their "feelings". They are placed in a state where they are incapable of harming any member of the flight crew. I'm not losing my life along with the rest of my coworkers because someone decides to become a problem child. It is in the best interest of all in regards to safety and leaves little to be debated in a court of law! Not to mention, it is nicer than a Zoll monitor up side their head which is generally frowned upon!

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
I would have to agree... this type of training should be a requirement for all EMS personnel.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Dude, if I'm going to come all the way out to Middle Of Nowhere, MO, there at least better be a Steak N' Shake nearby. :p

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
rcmedic said:
Dude, if I'm going to come all the way out to Middle Of Nowhere, MO, there at least better be a Steak N' Shake nearby. :p

No Steak and Shake here but a place with awesome steaks!!

West Plains is also the home town of Air Evac, one of the worlds largest air medical transport. ( They may be the largest now)

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
You get to Missouri (West Plains) and I'll come get you and bring you to Springfield for Steak and Shake, a visit of the Home base of Bass Pro, and a tour through Fantastic Caverns (the only "ride through" cave in the United States and 1 of 2 in the World!)....

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Flight-LP said:
Here, here!!! Words of wisdom have been spoken. All current field employees should have a working knowledge, both didactic and hands on, in the realm of personal safety. It cannot be over emphasized. I believe in a proactive evaluation of my patients to determine their level of threat prior to ever placing them in my helicopter. If they remotely indicate a threat, they are sedated and / or RSI'd. No hesitation, no questions asked, no psychological therapy to understand their "feelings". They are placed in a state where they are incapable of harming any member of the flight crew. I'm not losing my life along with the rest of my coworkers because someone decides to become a problem child. It is in the best interest of all in regards to safety and leaves little to be debated in a court of law! Not to mention, it is nicer than a Zoll monitor up side their head which is generally frowned upon!

Great point. See most of the Air Medical Transport Services have "Training and Policies" in place to cover just such a thing.

I keep trying to bring it to the forefront because the "average" medic get a couple hour lecture on scene safety and tossed to the wolves.

A person will respond the same to an 80 Y/0 NH patient or an 18 Y/O drugged patient that grabs them by the throat if they are not trained to differentiate between the two. An 80 NH patient is not an assault in my eyes because there was no INTENT.

A doper or a drunk that made a conscious decision to consume the intoxicant/drug then attacks......there is intent to harm there.

SO when an agency allows the medic to get hurt from an assault the medic needs to sue for FAILURE TO TRAIN. If the medic assaults a patient....... and the agency failed to train......again the medic can sue for FAILURE TO TRAIN.

It is not part of the job to be assaulted!

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Very true, intent is usually objectively seen. But most of the assaults that I have seen are cases when opportunity and capability are overlooked, thus "catching" someone off guard. Sir, I applaud you, your program is exactly what medics need, as a former LEO I can appreciate my former training to assist me in impulsive situations. But I still prefer my "pharmacologically assisted defence", hasn't failed me yet! Enjoy West Plains, be sure to visit the Firehouse and have a cold one for me.................

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
joemt said:
You get to Missouri (West Plains) and I'll come get you and bring you to Springfield for Steak and Shake, a visit of the Home base of Bass Pro, and a tour through Fantastic Caverns (the only "ride through" cave in the United States and 1 of 2 in the World!)....

Sweet! I love Steak & Shake. I'll trade you guys an In & Out! ;-)

Actually, Kip's class sounds kind of cool, and I've always wanted to visit that neck of the woods. Perhaps later in the year. ;)

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Flight-LP said:
Very true, intent is usually objectively seen. But most of the assaults that I have seen are cases when opportunity and capability are overlooked, thus "catching" someone off guard. Sir, I applaud you, your program is exactly what medics need, as a former LEO I can appreciate my former training to assist me in impulsive situations. But I still prefer my "pharmacologically assisted defence", hasn't failed me yet! Enjoy West Plains, be sure to visit the Firehouse and have a cold one for me.................

Thanks so much!! I will tell you that I worked EMS in South Florida for 4 years prior to moving to Missouri.....

Just because I had a lot of calls, saw all kinds of stuff and got to play with most of the toys on an ambulance...... I wasnt a "complete" medic. The rural medics taught me a lot more than I ever taught them. It was REAL patient care when you had a transport time over 25 minutes.

It is the rural setting I worry about the safety of our EMS Providers more. See in the city, the FD and PD respond to most calls...... heck that can be a bunch of folks on your side. That is pretty safe.

Now take the rural folks.....I have worked codes w/ just me and a parnter in the middle of nowhere. When my ambulance was car-jacked, we were alone (except for the patient and her daughter)

The more people see what DT4EMS "really" is I think the more it will be accepted. It is getting people to see that it is NOT a Karate class nor is it LEO Defensive Tactics. It is for EMS by EMS.